General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 LX 5 speed Oil Seal replacement

Old 09-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 LX 5 speed Oil Seal replacement

My wifes' 92LX 5speed has a small leakdripping out of the lower belt cover weap slot after she parks. It's not much oil, but the cummulative effects on my driveway are not pretty. I suspect that the oil pump/balance shaft seal is starting to fail or back out. I cannot see a retaining bracket installed, so the back out possibility exists. I know what happens when the seal totally backs out, since it recently happened on my sons 92 DX, and I need to head that off. I did the full disassembly and belt change on my son's car, but I'm thinking of only removing the bottom belt cover and onlyreplacing the oil seal and installing the retaining bracket.

Assuming the belts are still OK, does this seem plausable? I know there will be access issues and I will only be able access the balance shaft/seal area from below. Will the time I save not disassembling the valve cover, upper cover and motor mount be worth the lack of access from above?

Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 92 LX 5 speed Oil Seal replacement

ORIGINAL: gaugeman

, but I'm thinking of only removing the bottom belt cover and onlyreplacing the oil seal and installing the retaining bracket.

Assuming the belts are still OK,
when removing the lower cover,, if belt is not saturated with oil and still in good shape, just replace the balancer shaft seal and install the retainer ,,,no need to remove the t-belt,, but you got to remove the balancer belt,
But once it is all apart you might also replace the other seals down there,, ( crank seal, rear bal shaft housing seal ,,),, if you decide to replace the other seals then t-belt need to be removed at least from the bottom end ( crank shaft ) ,,If you mark everything properly , you should be able to do the all job from underneath, But again if any oil is on the belts ,, replace them ,,