General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Wagon Brake issues? (fluid?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Default 92 Wagon Brake issues? (fluid?)

Sup guys...

Yesterday on my way to pick up my girl from work, i noticed something strang with my 92 Accord Wagon....everytime i came to a stop and apply pressure to the brakes, i notice my brake pedal sinking lower and lower (the longer i press on the brakes) the brake fluid is topped off to the top....meanwhile (this morning) i head out to drive her to work and....what's this? ...the brakes are "normal" again...i apply pressure to the brakes and it doesn't sink to the floor...i get plenty of pressure.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 92 Wagon Brake issues? (fluid?)

you need to replace the brake master cylinder as soon as possible,,,,,,,,,,,there is an internal leak,, it works ok, when temp is cool , but in the middle ( hottest ) part of the day , it will sink again i guarantee it..

Old 05-26-2006, 01:05 PM

Thanks a lot man....things are starting to heat up over here in Boston,MA too...expensive part? expensive job? is this something i can do myself?

Old 05-26-2006, 07:55 PM

How much experiance do you have with brakes? I've seen people that have only been working on cars for a couple of months do it (under the watchfull eye of a mechanic with 30 years exp). There are two bolts that hold the M.C. in place, and the brake lines. Disconnect that and the M.C. should come out. You have to bench bleed the M.C. , never done it before so i dunno how thats done. Then reinstall the M.C. in reverse order of dissassembly and bleed all 4 brakes in correct order. Put some silicone greese on the pushrod on the M.C. before you install it.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: BostonPuppyDawg

Thanks a lot man....things are starting to heat up over here in Boston,MA too...expensive part? expensive job? is this something i can do myself?

the brake master cylinder ,, ( use Honda part only ) is around 110-140 dollars depends where you buy it at .....you can buy it anline it might be cheaper www.majestichonda.com make sure you specify wether car has ABS or not .......you also need brake fluid dot III or dot IV......2-4 dollars
Agentof darkness...... pretty much explained hot to replace the master cylinder,, you will need a 10mm line wrench, to make sure not to strip the lines and a 12mm to remove the 2 nuts holding the cylinder to booster,,

Bench bleeding is fairly easy,, to avoiding making a mess , you need to get 2 plastic nipples with the same threads that go into the master lines, Autozone or your local inport store should sell that ,, hook up hoses to nipples and route it back into brake master ,, fill brake master with fluid so the hoses are submerged into the fluid,,get a screwdriver and slowly push on the piston in and out so cylinder will get filled with fluid,, do not let the hoses come off the fluid or it will suck in air..do this several times ( 10-15 ).
once bled, go back to car and remove the master from the car, once out, get the new cylinder and install it ,The reason that you bleed it first and then remove the old cylinder is that , so there is hardly any time laps to install the new one and the possibility of sucking air into the system,,,,,,(,,Actually if properly done you don't even have to bleed the brakes ) anyho..,, hook up the lines before you even install the 2 nuts it is easier to start lines while you can move cylinder around ,, MAKE sure to start the lines properly and go in easily DO NOT cross thread or use a wrench to start them ,,start them by hand
once lines are strted, install the nuts, tighten them, tighten lines, bleed brakes,,
if you go to the DIY section,, there is a write up on how to bleed brakes properly ......

if any questions ask...

Old 05-27-2006, 07:08 PM

Got it! I appreciate the help from the forums and it's members (especially the mod)! I've run into a lot sites/boards with cocky riders with no respect to "newbies" that will chew your freakin head off if you asked a question with using the search engine (even though you already done it) ....again...thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8066877909

Old 05-28-2006, 12:49 AM

ORIGINAL: BostonPuppyDawg

Got it! I appreciate the help from the forums and it's members (especially the mod)! I've run into a lot sites/boards with cocky riders with no respect to "newbies" that will chew your freakin head off if you asked a question with using the search engine (even though you already done it) ....again...thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8066877909

that's what separates us from a lot of other forums,,,,,,, here we all respect each other.. no bashing, no name calling ,, no putting anyone down....
that is 1 of the main reason i joined this forum , the respect that the mods and administrators have for the members