General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Accord Auto Trans won't stay in gear!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:18 PM
bbuser
Unregistered
Default 93 Accord Auto Trans won't stay in gear!

The problem started when the Auto Trans in my 93 Accord suddenly shifted out of 4th and into 3rd while at highway speed, I popped it into Neutral and then back into 4th. it stayed in 4th, but not for long... It kept dropping out of 4th until it wouldn't go into 4th at all. It has since becomean intermittent problem, and I have started to lose more gears...3rd. I have noticed that once the car is warmed up itworks fine, but only after you shut it off. Example: went to pick up a pizza last night, driving there I put it in D4, and it would only go up to 2nd gear, but coming home, put it in D4, and everything operated perfectly. I checked the tranny fluid, and it didn't smell burnt, and the level was fine. I had changed the fluid about 5K miles ago, but only once, not the 3x drain and refill that most recommend. Also something to note...I haven't gotten a check engine light at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 93 Accord Auto Trans won't stay in gear!

Grab up your handy 10mm socket and pull off the shift solenoid on the front of the trans housing, see if the screen is plugged up with wet cardboard looking stuff.
That would probably mean that the Tourque convertor is coming apart, you could drop the trans, pop the case, replace the filter, and install a new TC.
If this isn't the problem, the accumulators are leaking off pressure or there is a sticking shift valve.
There are pressure test procedures in the service manual.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 AM
bbuser
Unregistered

I'm fairly certain thatI would be able to replace the torque converter without issue, butif the problem is the accumulators or the shift valve, that sounds like something that would be best dealt with by taking itto a shop...Correct? I've rebuilt several engines before, but I've never tore into a tranny, only removed and replaced them. Also, if the problem is the sticking valve, would swapping the fluid and filter help that at all? I forgot to mention that the car has about 120K miles

Hondadude thanks for the advice...If you any other members that are knowledgable on trannys would you direct them to thisthread please? THANKS!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

The shift valves are bolted on the outside of the tranny and aren't too bad to access. In the DIY section, you can get a shop manual for a 91 accord that should help you decide if the job is too big for you.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Maybe this is dumb, but could it possibly be the shift cable?

Old 06-05-2008, 04:59 PM
bbuser
Unregistered

I guess it could be the cable, but why would it only be happening in 3rd and 4th gears... I'm going to try and check out the shift solenoid tonight, I really hope it's not the torque converter though becauseI think that they're around $700 [:'(]ouch!