General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 accord engine just shut off

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Default 93 accord engine just shut off

Ok guys as usual I only post when there is a problem with this thing ..
yesterday while going to hot Aug nites Im driving along headlights are on AC is on radio is on .. And the dam thing just shuts off tach goes dead not a spit or sputter just like you shut her off.. Im thinking ok mabe my Ebay fuelpump craped out on me again
but think its odd with no sputter not anything ... im thinking mabe broken timming belt although its not that old but no way to check a dam thing on the road so we wait for AAA to show up an hr later they dont show and I hit the key one more time and she fires up like a champ and I turn it around and head for home drives fine all the way home granted im not overloading the electric system by running AC etc ..
So is there a module or something that my have overheated causing her to shut down ?? Any ideas greatly appreaceated I sure dont want to be left not trusting her to take out of town ..

Old 08-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 93 accord engine just shut off

Ignition switch maybe?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A coil or ignitor failure would also cause the tach output to stop. Did you notice whether the CEL and ALT light came on w/ keyswitch On? If no, then keyswitch is likely, if yes, then keyswitch is probably not the problem.

Easy to check timing belt. Pull distributor cap and watch whether rotor turns when engine is turned over. If not, then the camshaft is not turning. This is bad news and could mean a damaged cylinder heador pistons due to interference engine.

good luck

Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

Easy to check timing belt. Pull distributor cap and watch whether rotor turns when engine is turned over.

good luck
there is an easier way without removing the cap.. just remove the oil filler cap, have someone crank the engine look at the rocker arms,, if the rocker arms move up and down, t-belt is not broken,, ,, if they do not most likely broken t-belt or stripped teeth

Old 08-12-2007, 11:09 PM

like i said it fired back up and ran 80 miles perfectly home so not a belt problem strictly electrical just not sure which electrical part could cause this failer engine would spin over fine but would not start until it sat for about an hour all idiot lights cam on when I was cranking it before it finaly fired up after the wait time so not sure if there is a cam modual or modual in the dist that would overheat and cause this ??

Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Are the connections to your battery tight?

I had a weird problem with my Mazda Protege caused by one of the cables making intermittent connection.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:06 PM

when car does not start you need to diagnose if it is lack of fuel or spark,, there are a few write ups on our DIY section ,,, you might want to read up on it..

could be coil, ignitor, fuel pump, main relay. ...

Old 08-13-2007, 04:51 PM

Where might i find the ignitor or the main relay located? as the other items when they quit they are done dead players
and like i said shes running fine i must have just had a computer modual or relay over heat etc if i only knew how to test it but im thinking im going to have to live with the mistery until it happens again ..
Thanks again guys

Old 08-13-2007, 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: indianbullet

i must have just had a computer modual or relay over heat etc if i only knew how to test it but im thinking im going to have to live with the mistery until it happens again ..
Thanks again guys
when it happens again,, diagnose if it is lack of fuel or spark.. Like i said go to our DIY section and read up, so you will be prepared on how to diagnose and equipments you might need to help you diagnose your issue