General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 ex no brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Exclamation 93 ex no brake lights

Well I read a bunch of other threads about this and tried what was mentioned, don't see any ground wire under the plastic cover by the trunk latch though..

6 months ago the brake lights stopped working-- as did the horn so it was the fuse. The horn sounds like sh*t, like half power, has forever. Replaced it once and same thing.

Anyway the fuse blew one more time a few months later so I replaced it again. Right now the horn IS still working (still weak) but there are NO brake lights.

I'm not getting power to the switch by the pedal, can I run positive to one of those wires? There are 4 and none have a charge, can take a picture.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have a voltmeter or testlight?

Verify the voltage on both sides of the underhood fuse (#41 20 amp).

The WHT/YEL to the switch should be "hot" at all times. Recheck voltage after check at the fuse.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Unhappy re: brake lights

Verified 12v at the fuse, did not find any current on that wire by the pedal, connected 12v to that wire directly and still nothing.

Originally Posted by poorman212
Do you have a voltmeter or testlight?

Verify the voltage on both sides of the underhood fuse (#41 20 amp).

The WHT/YEL to the switch should be "hot" at all times. Recheck voltage after check at the fuse.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't get power at the WHT/YEL wire at the brake switch, then check if the No. 25 fuse (20A) in the under hood fuse box is blown. If the No. 25 fuse is okay, then there is a problem with the wiring (power or ground). (See attached pics. for brake light circuit and fuse location).

If you do get power at the WHT/YEL wire at the brake switch; then with the brake pedal depressed, verify power at the GRN/WHT wire which goes to the brake lights.

If there is power at the GRN/WHT wire at the brake switch, then brake switch is functionally properly. If still no brake lights, then check for power at brake light failure sensors, located in the trunk area.

Check for power at the GRN/WHT wires for both the brake light failure sensors (there are two light failure sensors; a left failure sensor and a right failure sensor both on the driver side in the trunk area). See link for images of sensors. The brown one is the left sensor and the black one is the right sensor.
Honda-Tech - View Single Post - CB7 Brake Light Warning Circuit ?

If there is power at the GRN/WHT wires; but, no power at the bulb connectors, then one or more of the failure sensors may be faulty.

If there is power at the bulb sockets; but, they still don't work, then the ground wiring/connection may be an issue.

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-23-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: images removed
Old 12-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

In regards to the horns, I looked at the horn circuit, power is also supplied via the WHT/YEL wire and protected by the same No. 25 fuse (20A). Check that both left horn and right horn are getting 12V power. Also check ground location G402, see link for location.

Honda-Tech - View Single Post - Electrical gremlins in a 93 Accord LX

If the fuse has been blowing every now and then, there may be an intermittent short in some wire, connector or component.

For the tail light ground, ground G701 should be on the left side of the trunk area.

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-03-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Default Cruise, Shiftlock

Cool thanks for the replies Redbull, now I'm looking at these and thinking: though they did not all stop working at the same time; the cruise and the shiftlock release from park also are a problem and could be related, going to work on it.

Originally Posted by redbull-1
In regards to the horns, I looked at the horn circuit, power is also supplied via the WHT/YEL wire and protected by the same No. 25 fuse (20A). Check that both left horn and right horn are getting 12V power. Also check ground location G402, see link for location.

Honda-Tech - View Single Post - Electrical gremlins in a 93 Accord LX

If the fuse has been blowing every now and then, there may be an intermittent short in some wire, connector or component.

For the tail light ground, ground G702 should be on the left side of the trunk area.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:28 PM

It's hard for me to tell from that where exactly G402 is.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

I can't find a photo of G402 for your generation Accord; but, it should be located behind the kick panel on the passenger side.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Ok thanks so much, it was both the fail sensors in the back as well as a shorted connection. Next up is the cruise and the power locks, starting another thread.