General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord Auto trans rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Default 94 Accord Auto trans rebuild

I'm thinking of pulling my trans soon on my car and rebuilding it myself. Have I ever done it before? No. Am I capable? Probably. If not, I have plenty of help available to me. My question is to anyone who's done this on here what they experienced and also what rebuild kit would you recommend or go OEM parts etc...

The reason for the rebuild is simply that it's shifting pretty rough. No slipping, just rough shifting. I've flushed the trans twice with Honda fluid at $8 a quart.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Have you adjusted the trans throttle cable? Adjustment of this can affect shift quality and it's easy to do.

If you don't have a shop manual, there's a 94-97 Accord Manual available for download from Online Manuals post in DIY forum.

I've considered trans overhaul for one car I owned (no longer). I decided against because there is such a labor content to do this, I couldn't bear to go through all that and found I messed up one step. Suggest considering a good used trans.

good luck

Old 03-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Have you adjusted the trans throttle cable? Adjustment of this can affect shift quality and it's easy to do.

If you don't have a shop manual, there's a 94-97 Accord Manual available for download from Online Manuals post in DIY forum.

I've considered trans overhaul for one car I owned (no longer). I decided against because there is such a labor content to do this, I couldn't bear to go through all that and found I messed up one step. Suggest considering a good used trans.

good luck
That is very true, a lot of time invested R&Ring the trans just to figure out it still shifts like crap. I have tried adjusting the throttle cable though the instructions in the book don't seem to be very detailed. I don't have the book with me and don't remember other than it didn't seem to say much about fine tuning the adjustment. I know the cable was messed with when the previous owner replaced the starter and probably wasn't readjusted properly but my adjustments haven't seem to correct the problem.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Further info on Texas Honda's advice. From Honda Electronic Transmission Problem- Troubleshoot, Inspection, Repair, Replace. ("http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html"):

Problem: My car shifts harshly... when it shifts it jerks, a bad shift shock. What is causing it and how do I fix it?

Only for the computer controlled transmission. The transmission detects pedal dept via two points. One at the TPS and the other at the transmission. If the deeper you press the gas the less harsh it becomes then the problems lies on the out-of-adjustment at the transmission throttle cable.

Probable solution: Using a wrench, adjust the transmission throttle cable in small increments and test drive. Tip: The more the slack the harsher the shift. If this does not solve the problem then it could be a shift timing or other problems as expressed below.

Extra thoughts from the author about harsh shifting: The harsh shifting found on these electronic transmission is notorious. Where is the problem coming from? From speculation, it could be coming from the clutch (which could have been damage from using generic ATF.) Or the problem could be coming the TCU. The TCU, which in effect is fed data from sensors (such as the transmission NM/NC speed sensor) throughout the transmission and the engine. The sensors tell the TCU when to shift at the correct moment. If any of these moments are off a bit due to bad sensors readings then they could produce a jerk as it shifts. Such as we don't normally shift when we are at the wrong rpm, car speed or gear. Doing so will produce a harsh embarrassing shift. Back in the days of the mechanical shifting, none of these problem occur. The current problem is that there are too many sensors and some of them could be failing to work correctly and the TCU is blinded by their conditions. The TCU is often only acting on bad advice. Troubleshooting may require the car hooking up to a computer for analysis making sure the sensors are working as they should. Many of you don't have access to these sophisticated system. So, the best advice is to remove each sensor, clean them and test them using a multimeter and put them back in and test drive. And repeat the procedure for other sensors. The software could be rewritten to fix its behavior but is not solving the problem. The internal parts of the transmission itself may be misbehaving. Inside the transmission is a clutch fluid shock absorber which is somewhat controlled by the throttle pedal. This absorber may not be of any usefulness if the clutch is already possibly damage from using the wrong AT fluid. Replacing with a new good transmission may be the best bet in trying to solve it. Your luck will be needed since people often will put various kinds of random fluid in there. The harsh shifting problems isn't mission critical that is why we cannot expand the topic further.

Added June-10-09, last edit on Sept-12-10

Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 PM

That kind of does make me wonder if anything is wrong with the transmission. Because really, it's just the weird shifting points and hard shifting. I'll have to try some more messing around with the throttle cable and see if it does anything.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

For giggles, check for codes. There are some that will set without triggering the light to flash while driving.