General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord EX with an oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Default 94 Accord EX with an oil leak

I am sure there is someone here that has posted this issue, so I won't get into a bunch of details. Suffice it to say that from underneath the car oil is trickling down around the oil filter but clearly coming from somewhere above - it isn't the valve cover gasket (replaced already). It is impossible to see exactly what is behind there. Can anyone point me to a good DIY thread that can yield some insight?

Thanks,
Owner of 95 Civic 1.6 VTEC 5-speed and 94 Accord EX automatic

Old 06-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Vtec switch on pax side rear of cylinder head is a good possibility. New gasket is fix.

Also, the oil pressure switch unit near the oil filter is a known leak source. Switch replacement is fix.

good luck

Old 06-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Default VTEC switch?

Please enlighten me...in all my years of owning/servicing Honda cars I have never heard of this one. What is a VTEC switch and prey tell, where can I lay hands upon it? (On my way to Google now)

Old 06-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Default thanks Tex

Good info thanks Tex. Found some pics and the like with info you gave. Believe it to be the oil pressure sender above the oil filter...Will post after I get under there and swap it. I plan to try and find a gasket for that vtec solenoid as well - from what I read, if it isn't leaking now, it will.

Thanks again -
LEX

Old 06-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

The VTEC spool valve is everything inside the box marked #9; recognizable by the triangle flange with 3 bolts. But the picture is misleading - the true position is towards the other end of the head, closer to the distributor (between head & intake-manifold).

The #12 gasket is under the 3-bolt flange; the #10 gasket is where the valve bolts against the head.

Don't forget to also check the oil-pressure switch on the back-side of the block, above the oil filter. See that from underneath the car.

Attached Thumbnails 94 Accord EX with an oil leak-1994-vtec-cyl-head.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 12:29 AM
Default Oil Leak

Thanks Jim. Looks like I will have to go to the dealership to find the gaskets for VTEC solenoid. However, I did replace the oil pressure switch tonight - and no leak idling for 15 minutes in the garage (garage door open). I think this was the major issue that had it bleeding oil like a stuck pig...but I still have not resolved the small pool of oil up top next to the vtec sol...I still plan to do that asap.
(Next up, erratic idle - saw a good forum on here and pretty certain I need FITV work, after cleaning IACV and still getting suction on lower intake hole after car warm. Going to attempt adjusting the plunger on FITV- if that doesn't work $70 bux for a new one at autozone.)

Thanks All - loving the site...
LEX
Currently <95 civic/94 accord>