General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord EX replaced Oil Pan Gasket..

Old 05-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Default 94 Accord EX replaced Oil Pan Gasket..

I was able to replace my oil pan gasket a week or so ago.
The only problem was this did not need to be done (removal of the exhaust manifold):

The exhaust manifold in my EX connects to "Pipe A" using three nuts. Two studs came out with the nuts on the manifold so this made things somewhat harder....but after using some liquid wrench and lithium grease I managed to free things up and re-assemble. All you need to remove is the cross member and "Pipe A" from the manifold and small middle pipe. I also had a replacement Honda manifold gasket which was used along with 2 seals for the manifold to A pipe.

The Pipe A was also connected below to the engine block by 2 bolts which were easily removed.

Also I used 3M 77 adhesive to lightly tack the gasket to the oil pan and not the block as the generic instructions I had said to do. This was easily done by placing over the dimples in the pan. Also I made sure to use the liquid gasket on both sides of the narrow ends of the gasket.

The only thing I wish I did extra (from HondaDude) was to use loctite on the bolts which I did not think of doing. The oil pan had some slight rust on some areas and I hope that will not be a problem until I purchase my next Accord.

The bottom of the inside of the oil pan was spotless due to my continued use of Mobil 1 oil for my car's 168K miles. No sign of anything but pure oil. You could see that after almost 16 years the gasket was getting hard, drying out, and cracking in spots.

So far everything looks good underneath!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Michael

Last edited by MichaelT1960; 05-09-2010 at 02:08 PM.