General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord EX Shaking under Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Default 94 Accord EX Shaking under Acceleration

First of all, Hi.

So I have a 1994 Honda Accord EX with the 2.2 L VTEC and 4 speed automatic. I've had this car for nearly three years now (first car ^^). Recently, I noticed that under acceleration the car would shake quite noticeably. It would happen at about 50 MPH when I got on the gas pedal to pass someone and it would last until I let off of the gas. So now, instead of happening under only heavy acceleration, it seems to happen under moderate acceleration from 2nd gear and up as well as heavy acceleration. This is really bothering me because this is the only car I have and I don't have enough money to replace it. Early-to-Mid-2009 I had the left CV axle assembly replaced, and late 2009 I did a tune up. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking it was the tranny at first but when the tires have no resistance (peeling out in a wet parking lot, hitting 3rd gear and my tires doing 70 mph ) it doesn't shake....I'm really confused...please help me!

Thanks in advance ^^

Last edited by vtecFTW; 03-13-2010 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-13-2010, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Have you cleaned the EGR ports? See this post in the DIY answers section.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=28456

Old 03-13-2010, 09:38 AM

I hadn't, thanks for showing that to me ^^ I'll try that and post back if it works. Thanks a ton!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Red face

After market cv shafts vibrating? They are reground and are terrible quality. Might get one good one out of say every 8 that you install.Who knows how long they would be good before vibrations start; even if you did happen to get a good one. Might try Raxles, but I would recommend oem and I would say the vibration will be gone. Also check tire balance, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM

Did you get this resolved? I have the exact same problem in my 1992 Accord. I changed the DS axle with a new and no improvement. Don't see anything else suspicious under there. Intermediate shaft is a bit loose where the axle goes in so I am that is the next target. It feels just like there is a flat spot on the tire but only when accelerating. Engine runs smooth.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

"RenoF250"- Left/drivers side was replaced, you say new. Is/was the really new or a reman unit.

I'll give some other things to check, think about besides the cv shafts. Have you had the tires rotated to see if the feeling moves or goes away. Also check the motor mounts to be sure one or more haven't broken. What you describe does sound like an inner cv joint going bad but the other things I suggested could also cause the same thing.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 AM

If you do happen to go in there to check the CV joint, you may want to check the upper and lower ball bearings as well. (On both the top and bottom of the metal strut that holds the rotor that the tire mounts on) I've heard that if those get dirt in them, they will cause vibrations.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
"RenoF250"- Left/drivers side was replaced, you say new. Is/was the really new or a reman unit.

I'll give some other things to check, think about besides the cv shafts. Have you had the tires rotated to see if the feeling moves or goes away. Also check the motor mounts to be sure one or more haven't broken. What you describe does sound like an inner cv joint going bad but the other things I suggested could also cause the same thing.
The axle was new not reman. I only did the drivers side because I do not see anything wrong with the PS and the vibration really feels like it is coming from the DS. It feels like the DS front tire has a flat spot on it.

The tires have been rotated but it was awhile ago. I will check the engine mounts but I just did the timing belt and did not see any problems there.

The ball joints are far from new, the car has 290k on it but they are not loose, I cannot feel any play in them.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, I really sounds like the inner cv joint. The only other thing I can ask about is the EGR posrts, but that is a "reach".

As far as the ball joints-at about 10~20 mph, does the car "seem" to walk right/left- this is hard to describe in words-so I hope you understand my question.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by RenoF250
Did you get this resolved? I have the exact same problem in my 1992 Accord. I changed the DS axle with a new and no improvement. Don't see anything else suspicious under there. Intermediate shaft is a bit loose where the axle goes in so I am that is the next target. It feels just like there is a flat spot on the tire but only when accelerating. Engine runs smooth.
Hiya! To answer your question, mostly. It still shakes upwards of ~4500 RPM...But what I did to fix what I did was I Cleaned the EGR ports and that took away a bit of shake. I also put newer tires on the front of the car and that took away a lot of it. I took it to a local shop that said one of my camber bars was bent (WTH?) so I'm kinda figuring that the rest of the shaking is that camber bar...or the possible blown head gasket...good luck with your 92, I love that year of Accord