General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord Ex starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Default 94 Accord Ex starting issues

I have a 1994 Accord Ex that has been with me since forever and is total junk but I cant seem to get rid of it for some reason.

I hit a dear a few years ago and just been having little issues that relate or not relate to the accident since.

Currently what is going on is car is not starting and wont even try and turn over. If I jump it the car will start but then is when the funny stuff happens. Once the car is started if I turn anything on that has to do with the dash (via the wipers, heater, head lights) the whole cluster dies for a split second (drops and jumps back up).

I've also noticed that my thermostat rises to deadly temps without the fans kicking on. I have taken and replaced the thermostat. I have and AEM Cold air intake on it but still manages to jump to the red.

car had an aftermarket alarm which was removed and there was a time the locking mechanism repeatedly tried to lock not sure if it still does or not however. While removing the alarm I also rewired blinkers back from ricer rigged blinkers which were hooked up to blink at x2 speed back to normal.

Any info is good info Im not a mechanic but I have no problem following directions and any info is a good start cause I seriously have no Idea what could be the issue short of having a short in the system somewhere.

Thank you

Old 12-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Starting only w/ jumper cables suggests either bad battery or damaged pos/neg battery cables restricting voltage to starter.

Suggest having battery checked at Autozone, or other auto parts store. Inspect cables for corrosion near the terminations and replace cables or termination.

Problems w/ items controlled from steering wheel controls suggests damaged control switches or damaged cable reel.

good luck

Old 12-30-2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Starting only w/ jumper cables suggests either bad battery or damaged pos/neg battery cables restricting voltage to starter.

Suggest having battery checked at Autozone, or other auto parts store. Inspect cables for corrosion near the terminations and replace cables or termination.

Problems w/ items controlled from steering wheel controls suggests damaged control switches or damaged cable reel.

good luck

I've take the battery out of my other car to see if it would turn over with the same out come. Also, once its started and I run it down the street to try and get some charge to the battery when I shut it off it will try to turn back over and if Im lucky it will once and then battery/car is back to how it was.

The items dont have to be controlled my only the steering wheel other things effect it as well like AC/Heat, if I roll a window down and so on.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:02 AM

What kind of damage did this deer cause ? sounds like maybe it knocked a ground loose somewhere

Old 12-31-2013, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

By substituting a known good battery, you've ruled out battery as the cause. This leaves bad battery cable, connection, or loss of ground as suggested by HM.

good luck