General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord LX misses between 2k an 2800 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Default 94 Accord LX misses between 2k an 2800 rpm

I have a 94 Accord LX F22A Automatic, 298k miles about a month ago it started missing when it reaches 2000 rpm and falls on its face if you have to hold it to the floor and it will straighten out an rev up. When sitting at a light and take off driving normal when you reach 2000 rpm it just won't go anymore till you stomp on it and it takes off. Sometimes I will leave to go to the store or something and it runs perfect doesn't miss a beat.

I started by doing a basic tune up cap, rotor, etc. and the cap was destroyed I figure oh that's got to be the problem. Well I started it and it ran a lot better but still had the miss. Next because of the mileage I put a used set of injectors in, the original ones were nasty ran better, started better still missed. So next I found a bad body ground wire changed that an the lights are brighter now but still misses. I read on this forum about the possibility of plugged up egr ports. Well I took it apart and all 4 ports were plugged up solid I cleaned it all out and put it all together started it and it ran amazing but then the miss came again!! Well next morning I started the car and noticed the the engine light wasn't coming on when u turn it to on before you start it. Well long story short after putting a new light in and starting it finding out the check engine light was on and ran the codes. It came up with a code saying the top dead sensor in the distributor was bad so.... I bought a brand new distributor put it in an it starts at the click of the key it runs and idles smooth, has more power than ever but started missing again!!!

Everything I have done so far has made vast improvements on the way it runs but I still have the miss. It misses random don't matter warm cold, just started or been running. When it does miss there's no backfire or noise you just hear the motor stumbling and it won't rev unless you stomp on the gas then it takes off and is fine. Can anyone help? I'm at a loss.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

I've moved this to General Tech. Please don't post questions in the DIY section.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by rc3928
I started by doing a basic tune up cap, rotor, etc.
Spark plugs and spark plug wires replaced? What brand?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Roader
Spark plugs and spark plug wires replaced? What brand?
^ +1

Once those are checked, another good thing to do is run a compression test. Let us know how everything turns out!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:37 PM

The plugs are NGK V-power's and the wires are autolite. But it was doing this miss before I changed those parts. I think I may have fixed it, yesterday I took the IAC motor off because the idle has been a little low and it was plugged up. There are two little ports in it and the one side has a screen covering it that side was completely closed off with carbon build up. I cleaned it all out and reassembled everything and the car is running perfect so far. I drove it around last night in drive driving normal and it ran perfect. I put about 40 miles on it thru city traffic and it was all good no issues. I don't know how the IAC could cause a miss at 2000 rpm but it seems fixed. I'll post an update if it starts missing again.