General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord needs new waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Default 94 accord needs new waterpump

Hello, I have a 94 accord LX stock engine, with automatic transmission. Three different shops told me that I need a new water pump. My car overheats when driven for too long and leaks coolant greatly as soon as coolant is added. So I was thinking about purchasing parts from autopartswarehouse.com and I was looking at getting a waterpump from here. I was also told that I need to change the timing belt if the waterpump is going to be changed so I'm thinking of purchasing a timing belt from the website as well. A question I have is if I need a new timing belt, do I need to buy the "timing belt kit" or just the "timing belt". Another question is, are there any recommendations for what brands, or other websites?

Old 10-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

How many miles are on your car?

Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 PM

about 180,000

Old 10-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

At 180,000 miles I would get the kit, or buy the individual components. That would be the timing and balance belts. The two tension pulleys. Replace the water pump. The two tension springs. There are three shaft seals that you should have ready. If one of the shafts is showing an oil leak, then replace. There is a fourth seal behind the rear balance shaft sprocket that you should replace.

Call your dealership and find out if the front balance shaft retainer was installed on your car. That is important.

I am of the opinion that I price the OEM parts, because they tend to be of better quality. Check ebay or online OEM parts sites. Then compare to the price of the kits (carefully look at the kit to make sure you get all the items necessary). Some Honda parts sites list the manufacturer of their parts, because Honda doesn't make their parts.

EDIT: IF you are doing this job yourself, there is a really good ericthecarguy video for ~$10 that you should buy. The shop manual will help too. The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link for online shop manuals where you can get a 94 shop manual that will help a lot.