General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 accord running hot long drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Default 94 accord running hot long drive

i have a question and it may be a common problem in an older car, im not sure. my 94 accord lx 4 cyc ran hot after about 50miles of driving. the car didnt run hot into the red but it went close to it. after about 5mins cool off and sum coolant the car was fine. i did hear the boiling noise but it was coming from the rad reservoir. there was coolant/water on the ground but the was the excess spilling out of the res. i just replace the rad car, and hoses which fixed my running hot problems...the rad fan kicks on and off auto; the top and bottom hose were too hot to touch after about 4secs and the top one seemed to be more stiff but they were both the same temp. when the car was moving of course it was fine. i drove 50miles at about 70-80mph most of the way also it was about 80 degrees outside............

i did note on my 50 mi drive back home i traveled slower 60-65mph and the night time so it was cool...and i didnt have the same problems.... could this just be because its an older car and it was warm out?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

could be a plugged up radiator, internally or externally. thermostat been changed? check engine light on? age has nothing to do with running hot as long as all the cooling system components are working as they should.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
could be a plugged up radiator, internally or externally. thermostat been changed? check engine light on? age has nothing to do with running hot as long as all the cooling system components are working as they should.

greetings, i have no idea how to check a thermostat or eve where its located, i can do some googling though. or maybe a water pump problem? i turned the heat on fullblast and it was still coming out cold as if the a/c was on. the car never ran hot on this drive tho....after a while it warmed up but not really hot, hot.thanks for ur help

Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Follow the LOWER radiator hose back over the transmission towards the firewall. That hose goes to the thermostat housing, roughly below the throttle-body.

On that thermostat housing, there's a bleed valve you can loosen to release any trapped air. Hondas don't like to have any air trapped in the cooling system.

You might want to replace the thermostat; sounds like it might be starting to fail?

When replacing the thermostat, you have to drain; so try to look inside the radiator for signs of scale or crud. If so, then get some radiator-flush product to clean it out.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:47 PM

Buddy of mine had this problem on a car (not honda). Ended up needing to replace the thermostat.