General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord - stalling on highway, tachomoter freaking out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:20 AM
smagic
Unregistered
Default 94 Accord - stalling on highway, tachomoter freaking out!

94 Accord, Auto Transmission, 151k mi, 4cl

Past few days, my car has cut out suddenly when traveling on roads with 40-55mph speed limits. It generally happens when I am coasting, foot is off the gas pedal. I notice erratic jumping of the RPM gauge and then it fails. Generally it has not been a problem to stop, place in Park and start the car again, but the past couple day it took a few minutes before it would start again.

Just before the engine cuts out, the tachometer jumps erratically before falling to 0. Check engine light comes on. Several months ago, I had a problem going across a long hills, the tachomter would rev between 3500 and 4000 rpm at certain points on the hill.

I checked the codes, it's throwing 15 "Ignition Output Signal" -- most searches I've done are generally with folks who can't start their cars, my problems are while driving (although now I can't restart the car immediately after stall, needs a few minutes).
I'm going to install new plugs, wires, cap and rotor this weekend, but it seems like it could be a sensor issue? Any experience with this?

Any help is appreciated!! It's a bit nerve-racking to stall out on highways. Thanks

Old 04-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 94 Accord - stalling on highway, tachomoter freaking out!

sounds like an ignitor issue,, remove the cap and make sure that all the wires ( 4) that go to ignitor are properly connected and tight ..if they are , you need to diagnose before you start replacing parts ... I do not think that replacing plugs , cap, rotor will solve the issue ...

when car stalls and cannot restart, make sure that it is because lack of spark or fuel,,

if lack of spark , test the ignitor and coil,,
if lack of fuel, chk the fuel pump ,,

Old 04-24-2008, 02:10 PM
smagic
Unregistered

Thanks for the heads up, I will check the ignitor. If they look OK, how can I diagnose the other issues? Is there a procedure for testing the coil or igniter? I received the one OBD code #15, that's about all the diagnostic I was able to do.

It sounds like it's a coil or ignition module. I don't think I'll be able to check for fuel, I don't have a pressure gauge for that type of test.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/ has a 94 shop manual broken down into chapters you should download.

The other culprit could be the ignition switch along with the coil and ignitor.

You can test the ignitor for problems with a test light. Do you have an EX, LX, or DX? The EX has an internal coil while the LX/DX has an external coil. I can describe to you how to hook up a test light in more detail. There is also a write up in the DIY section to diagnose a coil or ignitor problem as well.

I know that O'Reilly Auto Parts can bench test ignitors where I live. If you have one nearby, call them and ask if they can test one for a 95 accord.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:36 PM

Just a heads up, if you have Bosch spark plugs they are known for frying coils on honda's, especially internal ones....

Old 04-24-2008, 06:14 PM
smagic
Unregistered

First, I am really thankful to have your help -- thanks for all of the info!

I have an LX.

Today I stalled out again on the highway, about 6 minutes into my drive! Again it took about a minute of waiting/trying to get the car moving again. This only appears to be an issue on highways, when I pulled off the highway and used local roads, no stalling. When I stopped and started my car later in the drive, it wouldn't start right away. Seems like the problem purks up when the car is warm, and the weather is much warmer than it has been the past few months, so I wonder if this problem has been hanging out during the winter.

From my research, it sounds like it's a coil issue, particularly because of the heat-related symptom. Would this component cause the Ignition Output Signal code and the erratic tachometer (it freaks out a few seconds before it stalls) issue as well?

I followed the link, PAhonda, but it sent me to the main page of that site. Is the URL correct? I'd apreciate any help in terms of diagnosing the coil, ignitor and/or switch.

sir_nasty, thanks for the heads up about bosch plugs, I guess I'll scrap the idea of getting +4's.. any recommendations on a good performing spark plug?

Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:48 PM

Get whatever ngk plug is specified for your vehicle.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/