General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord wont start please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Default 94 Accord wont start please help

I just purchased a 94 accord dx with a manual transmission at approx. 200k miles. Last week when i was headed home from work everything was going fine. I parked the car in the gararge and turned in for the night.

The next morning i attempted to start the car and it didn't crank at all. Figured it may have been gas so i put more gas in car from my gas tank. Still nothing. I get full power, lights on and everything, just not cranking. It sounds like my fuel pump is coming on so i dont think it's that.

We just replaced the starter this morning with a new one and still it didn't start. I don't know too much about cars but i do think its spark related. Also, i checked my fuses and all looks well. Also checked timing belt and that is on as well.

Is there a way my distributor may have went bad while driving and i wouldn't know it? Or might the car not be reading that my clutch is engaged? Should i try a rolling start and popping the clutch? If not, what might you suggest? Thank you all for your help.

P.s. car is also leaking oil on the wires near my distributor. .. ??

Last edited by 94cord; 11-01-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

You say it doesn't crank. Do you mean the starter doesn't spin the engine? IF that's what you mean, then look at starter control circuits, clutch interlock, stuff like that.

If the starter isn't spinning the engine, then don't waste time chasing lack-of-spark.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your description of problem is imprecise. Does starter turn engine over but engine fails to run or does starter not make a sound?

If starter is engaging and turning engine over, suggest following test:

Remove air intake duct by lifting air filter cover and spray about 10 secs of starter fluid or throttle body cleaner into air intake duct. Attempt to start.

If it starts and runs briefly, spark is OK and fuel delivery; main fuel relay, fuel pump, injectors are the problem.

If it fails to start, no spark is likely suggesting failed ignition coil or ignitor.

If Check Engine Light is on, see DIY forum for procedure to extract obd1 codes.

good luck

Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 PM

Sorry gentleman, but yes, the starter is not making a sound. Someone told me to check out the starter relay located under the dash. But im not sure what he says to replace it with.... ill also check into the circuits and interlock you speak of. Thanks

Old 11-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Disconnect the small blk/wht wire to the starter. Have an assistant turn the key to start the car. Use a volt meter to check for 12V to that wire.

In not, then you will have to start working backwards. I don't think there is a starter relay on your car.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, the manual trans cars use/have a starter relay - center console/left.

Look on the floor on the drivers side - do you see/find some blue plastic pieces.

Attached Thumbnails 94 Accord wont start please help-pedal-plug-broken.jpg   94 Accord wont start please help-5th-gen-starter-relay-location.jpg  
Old 04-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Testing Starter Relay

Originally Posted by poorman212
Yes, the manual trans cars use/have a starter relay - center console/left.

Look on the floor on the drivers side - do you see/find some blue plastic pieces.
I know this thread is old but I'm going through the same issue as the OP. I have replaced the starter and check the battery and ignition switch. All have tested fine. This thread gave me hope as I didn't realize the starter relay was under the left center console. Is there a way to test the relay?

Thanks
ro

Old 04-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

The relay is a simple four pin relay, so yes testing it is not that hard.

Does you car have an aftermarket alarm system?