General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Honda Accord Surging

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Unhappy 94 Honda Accord Surging

hello,
I am new to the site.. I have a 94 honda accord LX and am having an issue and after reading post all day i am still left w/ question... one day i got into my car and tried to start it and it started and immediately died. naturally i tried it again and it turned and turned but would come to life.. i waited a bit and tried and it started fine. the next day i had the same problem but waiting didnt work so i turned the key on then off then on then off then it started just fine.. typically when you turn the key over and wait you can hear the fuel pump engage so sometimes i just turn it on and off until i hear it engage before starting. My gut tells me that its fuel pump. ( I have replaced the relay with not luck) the car likes to surge as well..if you just sit there in idle you can watch the tach drop then go back to it prior position then drop again then back.. while driving it will do the same thing and it almost feels like a miss but surely this isn't a distributor issue is it.. I have been told by 5 different mechanics that it may be the fuel filter or the fuel pump or the distributor, injectors etc.. i cant afford to drop a lot of money into this car so i need help on were to begin.. also if i come to a stop it kinda dies down, the motor shakes real bad, then get back to normal rpms.. Any ideas? I'm thinking fuel pump but don't have a fuel pressure gauge to test the pump..

Thanks all

Old 08-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome.......

Not really the place for this type of question.....

Starting issues, key to on/pos II does the CEL turn on and fuel pump run for ~3 seconds and then light off/pump stop.

No stored codes correct?

The search and think about cleaning the IAC..

I'm assuming the normal tune up items (cap, rotor, plugs, ect) are up to date.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Symptoms suggest failed ignition switch assy. Try the following excellent video on youtube:
"94-97 Honda Accord Ignition Switch Replacement Part 1"

good luck

Old 08-27-2011, 08:38 PM

where would i post this question then? im a little lost.. yes, basic tune up is done. no codes that i know of but then again i dont even know where the ecu is located...

Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Autozone rents fuel pressure testers. Included in the kit is a fitting that fits the top of the fuel filter.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 PM

i did the ignition switch test. switch is not the problem. Im stil stuck on thinking its the fuel pump, fuel filter, or the distributor.. anything else i could be forgetting? also, where else should i be posting if not here...

Old 08-28-2011, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

In the trunk, there is a three pin connector near the back seat. There is also a ground bolt that you should clean near that access cover.

The yellow wire in that connector should get 12V for about two seconds when you turn the key to the II position. If you back-probe that wire and connect a volt meter (or a 12V test light), you will see if you are getting voltage to the fuel pump when it is not working.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

You also posted in the proper forum, but you should have started your own thread and not posted a new question on some other member's thread. One of the other mods moved your post to a new thread.