General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Honda Accord won't start within 5 minutes of turning off

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Default 94 Honda Accord won't start within 5 minutes of turning off

I have a 1994 Honda Accord EX, VTEC, 4 cylinder, with a manual transmission. It has 174,000 miles. I am a pizza delivery driver so do a lot of city driving.
Here is the problem. Starting about a year and a half ago my car would have trouble starting. I would be driving most of the day then I would turn it off then less than 5 minutes later I would go out to start it and it would turn over, barely start, and then it would die. I would try to start it again and it would not start. I would sit there for about 5 minutes then it would start again and all would be well.
When this started I would only have this problem maybe every 2-3 months. But over the past year and a half the frequency of the problem has been increasing.
Now the problem is so bad that it happens 99% of the time that I turn off my car. When I go to get gas, if I turn off my car I am positive that it will not start once I have filled up the tank. I will need to sit there for an additional 5-10 minutes for it to start. When I get back from a delivery or when I am on a delivery I do not dare turn off my car because I know that I will need to wait 5-10 minutes for it to be able to start again.
When this started it was only once every 2-3 months. Now it is all the time. I know if I drive it, then turn it off to go into the grocery store or something that will take more than 10 minutes it will start again. But anything under 10 minutes it will not start. It will barely turn over then die.
Furthermore, first thing in the morning after it has been sitting all night, I can drive it to the gas station and fill it up then it starts again. It seems to have the most trouble when the engine is hot and has been running for a while. I think that when the engine is cold the automatic choke kicks in and helps it start. I could be wrong on that though.
Now the worst part is within the last 2 months it has been randomly dying while I have been driving it. One time I was on the freeway going 70mph in 5th gear and it died on me, another time I was going 35mph in 3rd gear and it died on me. The most recent incidents are when I put the car into neutral when I am decelerating while approaching an intersection. Initially when I put it into neutral the rpm’s hang out around 1000, but by the time I get to a complete stop it drops down to about 500-600 rpm’s. I’m fine with that, but occasionally it drops below 500 rpm’s and the car starts to vibrate, then I worry because it usually dies, then I am stuck for 5-10 minutes before I can start it again.
This car has been a work horse and I love it. I have kept it well maintained as far as regular maintenance goes, oil changes, etc. I have replaced the clutch, and have had the tie rods and axles fixed. But this not starting issue and dying on the road is a bit too much and I don’t know how to fix it or even where to begin. Any help would be much appreciated. I tried to include as much detail as possible; if you have any more questions feel free to ask. I am a recent college graduate and currently looking for better work other than pizza delivery so money is tight. Any advice other than “take it to a shop” would be very much appreciated. Take care and keep pursuing the dream….

Old 07-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is check engine light on? If yes, get the codes (see DIY forum for instructions) and report them for help.

When no-start condition occrus, turn keyswitch to On and listen carefully for a couple of clicks from under the dashboard and buzz (fuel pump) from the fuel tank. It will need to be quiet conditions to hear.

If you don't hear the fuel pump, the Main Fuel Relay, may be intermittent, or the fuel pump may be intermittent.

Also notice when you turn keyswitch to On, does the Check Engine, Alt, and Oil Pressure light come on immediately. If not, the ignition switch assy could be the problem.

good luck

Old 07-24-2012, 02:17 AM

If i may add my 2 cents?I would have the coil pack checked?
when coils are going bad thats one of the signs?car hot not starting until coil cools then it starts!
As well as what Tex said check main relay i had a similar problem and it was my main relay

Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ditto. I just resoldered my main relay and now I'm GTG.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by themckeown
I would be driving most of the day then I would turn it off then less than 5 minutes later I would go out to start it and it would turn over, barely start, and then it would die...

But anything under 10 minutes it will not start. It will barely turn over then die....
Just to clarify, the starter does turn the engine normally, right? That is, whether hot or cold, start or no-start, the starter sounds the same?

Old 07-30-2012, 04:55 PM

i believe i have the same problem with the main relay... only difference from the very first post and mine is also when im going down hill i can smell gas if i push in my clutch the cars dies...only going down hill.... a guy told me that my injectors are failing, but if more than one is failing doesnt that sound fishy to replace more than one at a time... im thinking main relay but would it make it die when going down hill in nuteral...?? any suggestions is great...

Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 PM

if more than one injector is failing at a time isnt that like three legs on a horse breaking at once...???? correct me if im wrong but doesnt the main relay... control a couple of things... including the injectors, the starter, the ignition, the fuel pump and one other thing?????

im a single mom who has put some money in this thing and always resulting the same thing going on... no start some times and dies when idling.. down hill... parts that have been replaced..
o2 censor, thermostat, ignitor, fuel pressure regulator switch, water pump(right before i bought it), fuel pressure was checked also... im at a loss... :-(