General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 vs 90 timing belt proceedure

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Default RE: 94 vs 90 timing belt proceedure

ORIGINAL: mjhenks
Was talking to my local dealer last night and he gave me very much the same advice i got here.
If you have a good relationship with the dealer, ask how much he will charge you tojustloosen the crank pulley bolt a bit and re-torque it. With the access holewhere it is,this should beno more than a5-minute jobfor a competent techand astrongimpact wrench.Filling in the job orderwill take longer than the job.

If it's only$10-$20, it would be well worth it, because when you get it home and start the job a short time later, the bolt will in all likelihood loosen with a torque equal to what the dealertightened it to.It will beinfinitely easier than trying to loosen a bolt that hasn't been loosened in many years.

Good luck.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The tensioner pulley bearing can be opened and repacked, however last time I checked this part was not expensive. Considering it's importance, a new part is a good investment. I opened a tensioner bearing on my previous 90 Accord EX w/ ~260K miles at the time to examine after replacement w/a new part. The bearing grease was dried and bearing was beginning torun dry. It might have run a long time, but would have eventually failed.

good luck

Old 05-27-2008, 12:15 PM

Mission Accomplished. Thank you all for the help and the excellent advice. I could not have done it without the pictures and great procedures i found on this site.

Parts were purchased thru Majestic Honda. Great company to deal with. No real surprises since i read4 different procedures before i started. Took about 6 hours. I found that the last mechanic left the temporary adjusting bolt in the timing belt tensionerbracket. That was removed. Also found that my belts were in decentshape but my balance shaft tensioner was shot. Was also amazed at how little tension was on the belts once tensioned. Did that part of the proceedurea few times to make sure it was correct. Probably the hardest part of the job was installing the new seals. No room in there to get that much axial force on them to seat them.

Thank you again. One more item off the list.On to the nextprojects. Leaky tranny, cruise control andBouncySuspension.