General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 2.2 Auto, rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Default 95 2.2 Auto, rear main seal

Hi, have a 95 Accord EX 2.2 liter with automatic transmission with 165,000 miles. Leaking oil in the back of motor, going to have it looked at this week but am curious how much it is to get the rear main crankshaft seal replaced also do these get worse with time? Have this route that I take frequently and swear there is a path of oil going up the hill, it is using more oil than usual but can not give a number just yet.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

By back side, I assume you mean the rear side of the engine. Leak could be filter or more likely the oil pressure sensing switch, a known source of leaks. Inspect the rubber/plastic boot for evidence of oil leaking through.

If you mean the rear of engine, this is confusing on a FWD. I would call the pax side the rear (transmission side), but I'm not sure.

Known leak points are rear balance shaft cover (under lower timing belt cover), distributor drive O-ring, distributor inner shaft seal, Vtec switch oring gasket, valve covers, and spark plug tube seals.

Shaft seals almost never leak, so I would look long and hard at other sources before replacing. The crankshaft seal behind the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley is relelatively easy to access and replace. Other crankshaft seal will require transmission removal.

good luck