General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 4 cylinder transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Default 95 4 cylinder transmission questions

Hi, back in January of this year the radiator was replaced, the technician did not attach one of the clamps for the transmission fluid hose into the radiator, being they are side by side do not know which one. Think they are side by side, anyway. I did not notice fluid on the ground but days are short and I don't look. On a cold day warmed up the motor and noticed when I came out red fluid on the ground. The car would not move, had it towed to a shop and they fixed it. It was not attached and noticed for about a month, paper work is in another room but think that is right.

The shop that screwed up said since no fluid was in there and the impression I got from them was since it was cold outside when this all happened there should be no long term effects on the transmission. What do you think please, the car is a 95 four cylinder with 240,000 miles with the original transmission. It is getting warmer outside, the transmission does not slip the way I interrupt slipping. Under normal acceleration the shifts are fine and firm. Accelerating briskly or up a hill it's like for a split second it can not decide to shift up or down. I replaced the fluid every thirty thousand miles since the care was bought at 120,000 miles about five years ago.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by landlover; 05-09-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

As you know this is kind of a loaded question.

IMHO, you should be fine. You have done regular changes of the trans fluid - good for you as many forget the trans fluid. The auto trans in this gen Accord is a well built unit.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
As you know this is kind of a loaded question.

IMHO, you should be fine. You have done regular changes of the trans fluid - good for you as many forget the trans fluid. The auto trans in this gen Accord is a well built unit.

Yes it is.

I do not want to get the transmission rebuilt in this car but in the back of my head it's got 240,000 miles and in my opinion a major screw up that should not have happened in the first place and its great to hear peoples opinions. Maybe somebody got some insight on the subject. Nobody has anything to gain for opinions given on here. Thanks for yours and thanks for your service to this country!

Old 05-11-2014, 07:03 PM

My sister once (somehow) broke one of the hoses on her way home one day and all the tranny fluid came out and car would not move. I replaced the hose, added tranny fluid, and off she was. She had over 300k on a 96. Those hydraulic transmissions from 90-97 are tanks. No need to worry.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

The transmissions on these cars are pretty good.

I would suggest doing an early drain/refill using Honda ATF (or the fluid you typically use).

There is also a cable that goes from the throttle body to the transmission that can stretch over time. There is an adjustment so you can take up some of the slack.

Here is a video on how to do this. The video is for the cable controlled by the gas pedal, but the adjustment on the cable from the TB to the transmission is a similar procedure.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Me, a 95 EX. I replaced the rad and did not replace the trans cooler lines. About six months later one of the hoses blew. I put new clamps on it but didn't replace the hoses, never do that again. Replace the trans cooler hoses while there.

The fluid leaked to the point the car wound not move and left the kids and wife stuck in a parking lot. Figured out the issue, limped the car home. Replace both hoses, filled the trans and drove the car for another 80k miles.

Car left me with 385~386K and it only left me because of "driver error". My youngest took a curve and a "deer" (heard that one before) was in the road and he ended up going off the raod, thru a ditch, did at least one and a half barrel roll (car ended up on the drivers side). In the daylight I could see where the back tires broke loose and he could not hanlde the slide but that is another story.....he took that curve too fast and lost the "*** end" and couldn't save it.

Not a call a parent wants in the middle of the night - and for those that know me it was a really hard call to get as this was about six months after a visit from four State Troopers showing up at my door one Sunday afternoon letting me know my oldest was a pass in a car that was in an accident - all in that car were killed.

My point, again the auto trans in these is a solid unit. IMHO you will be fine. I had something very close to what you had and never had issues. Just do as you have been doing, keep up with regular trans fluid changes.

BTW - that is my oldest son in my avatar, it is a pic taken just after he graduated from OCS USMC

Last edited by poorman212; 05-12-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the opinions everyone! Cross my fingers and just keep doing what has been done with the car so far. Poorman212 you must be very proud of your son and sorry to hear about his friends! PAHonda, thanks for the cable adjustment advice will see about getting that done.