General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord EX Stuck in Park and D4 light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 01:17 AM
Unhappy 95 Accord EX Stuck in Park and D4 light blinking

Hi All,
New to this thing, so bear with me.
I have a 95 Accord EX Wagon with 195K miles on it. Sometimes the shift stick refuses to get out of park and I have to insert the key in the override slot to get it out of park and then turn on the engine in Neutral before I can drive. Then it goes back to normal after a while. I have also noticed that when I have to use the override slot to get it out of park, the D4 light blinks and the click sound that it normally does when I step on and off the break can not be heard. When it goes back to normal after a while, the clicking sound returns, the shift comes out of park normally and car drives normal. When it is blinking the gear shifting is kind of rough (I have to kind of let off the accelerator a bit to get it to shift when it is supposed to, otherwise it takes a little longer than usual). All symptoms disappear when the shift gets out of park without using the key in the override slot. Would this be an indication of an interlock switch beginning to go bad? or something more serious? I think I can replace the interlock switch without too much trouble, but just want to make sure I am not wasting my time. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Alfredo.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

This is a unique honda problem as I have not seen it with other brand including Toyota. I used to work on this same issue on my then g/f 1989 Acura Integra. Sorry, I forgot which component I replaced, but It did not permanently fix the issue. Honda seems to know about this so that is why they provide the override slot. I don't remember seeing that override slot on any other vehicles besides Honda

Old 05-01-2017, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

The D4 light blinking means the transmission computer detected a problem and stored a code. You can check for transmission codes the same way you check for engine codes on your car.

See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link to checking engine codes. It is pretty simple to check the codes on your car.

Look at the top brake light in your rear view mirror to see if it is on when you hit the brake pedal the next time the car will not shift out of park.