General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord EX VTEC Bad Head Gasket or Piston Rings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A ruptured fuel pressure regulator (FPR) diaphgram will allow raw gas to be pulled into the intake through the vacuum reference line to the FPR. Pull FPR vac line and sniff. If strong smell of gas, you've found problem. We often suggest this check but I've never seen a documented case of this being the problem, but it must have happened somewhere.

Leaking injector/s could also cause this problem. Need to measure fuel pressure and see if it's in spec and whether fuel pressure holds when keyswitch turned to OFF. If not, then leak to intake manifold is possible, but so is leaking FPR, and leaking check valve in fuel pump.

good luck

Old 09-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you, I will check FPR vacuum line for strong smell of gas. How would you suggest I check to see if injector/s are leaking?

Old 09-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

I have two thoughts on this thread:
  1. By definition, following a cold start the engine will ALWAYS run rich, nature of the beast. Cold starting an engine, letting it run for a minute or two will not allow the engine to warm sufficiently for the engine control systems to properly lean out the mixture. Further more, even when an engine is warm, it will still run at one of its richest mixtures at idle.
  2. Under normal operating conditions, when an engine is running over rich, the exhaust will be of a blackish color.

Am I saying your engine is not running unusually rich? No. I'm just saying the data so far doesn't fully support that conclusion.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

that's what I thought as well but then I read other forums where others have had an excessive amount of whitish grey smoke from the exhaust and it ended up to be a fuel issue and it smelled like raw fuel which seems to be what I am getting. I'm talking clouds of smoke that stink like gasoline to the point where it is unbearable. The idle is abnormal and it sounds as if I have a high pitch winding noise coming from the engine bay periodically. I clean the plugs put them back in and it will start on a cold start right away with no misfire, and once it warms up it seems as if the plugs foul and it begins to misfire. Pull the plugs and they are black. I can't figure out what the issue seems to be and it's driving me insane especially because this is my daily driver now and I have been without a car for over a week now! The temp gauge seems to be normal, no check engine light.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Something is wrong and spark seems to be fine, so ruling out fuel leakage makes sense. A fuel pressure measurement kit is necessary to measure fuel pressure and check for leakage. You can buy the key banjo bolt adapter on ebay for about $10-$15. Much easier than trying to "roll you own".

good luck

Old 09-19-2014, 10:55 AM

I'd also check fuel return line for obstruction, coolant temp sensor and O2 sensor. Air filter clean?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by draser
I'd also check fuel return line for obstruction, coolant temp sensor and O2 sensor. Air filter clean?
Air filter will have zero impact on this issue.