General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 accord struggles to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 PM
infected element
Unregistered
Default 95 accord struggles to start

my car stuggles to start after it has been sitting for about twenty minutes. It stuggles to start between 20min and about 5 or 6 hours after the last time it ran, all other times it starts fine. Ive replaced spark plugs and wires and even the distributor and it still doesnt start right. Ive checked the fuel pressure and it is reading about 45pounds (idk how good or bad that it). the fuel pump is workin and the injectors have been check and are ok. this car is about to drive me insane bc i cant figure out what is wrong. help me pls

Old 05-12-2008, 12:43 PM
infected element
Unregistered
Default RE: 95 accord struggles to start

its a 95 accord LX 4cyl.F22B2

Old 05-12-2008, 01:27 PM
infected element
Unregistered

come on guys, no one got any ideas??? it sounds like a lawn mower when it starts and its embarrasing...for real

Old 05-12-2008, 04:58 PM

Possible main relay sticking.....If you are parking in direct sunlight and cabin of car gets really hot, it make take even longer to start this Summer.....Replace the main relay and see if it helps.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-12-2008, 10:59 PM

I have that same problem, my car is an 94 accord ex, I live in mexico and daily its sunny and hot, 2/5 days of the week sometimes 3 my car doesnt want to start when school ends, its a real hassle. So I feel you...

Old 05-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Describe how it isn't starting? Is the starter turning the engine like a normal start? Does the engine seem to catch then doesn't?

When the car doesn't start, do you hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key to the II position? It has a slight whirl sound coming from under the trunk after you hear the relays click. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, leave it hooked up and see if you have proper fuel pressure at the rail.

Is 'new' distributor a new or junkyard distributor? Is it an OEM distributor or an aftermarket one? When you replaced the distributor, did it come with a new coil and/or igntior?

Also is your check engine light on? I would short the service connector and count the CEL flashes. If you don't know how pull CEL codes, then follow the CEL instructions on this link.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/

Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 AM

The post below is with the assumption that you have done nothing to the fuel pump of this vehicle.

If you have an aftermarket fuel pump, disregard this whole message, drop the tank, and install a new Genuine Honda fuel pump.

Let me ask you a very simple question....If you knew that you had a theif living a couple of houses down from you and you had some stuff stolen one day and you knew he was athome that whole day while you were at work, wouldn't you sort of check him out first?

This is the same scenario....You can read numerous posts in this forum that repeat problems associated with the main relay and everyone wants to check everything else before going to the main relay first!!!!

1994 Accords do not have any problems with ignitors and I have only replaced one coil on a '94 thru '97 model

In addition, if the ignition components were failing, restart would not be happening.

The fact that the car sits for a while tells me that it is most likely a main relay. You cannot always hear the fuel pump and it is only energized for two secondswhen you initially turn on the key.In addition,the electrical diagnostictests outlined in the Honda service manual are not very accurate. Even Honda admits to this.....Look at the bottom of any trouble-tree, all of them state if you have gotten to this point in your diagnosis try a known-good ECU, relay, or whatever.

You can spend a day on a scavenger hunt with a schematic if you want to, but I would replace the main relay first....The part costs under $50 from Honda....Install itand see if the symptoms cease beforethrough the Safari listed in the previous post above.

If you have a known problem component in the car and you try to pin-point see it fail, you'll spend a day on replacing and most likely solving a problem that can be fixed in less than 1/2 hour. What is your time really worth?

Sincerely,
Ed Brian
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-13-2008, 02:21 PM
infected element
Unregistered

well i took it to the dealshipship and they told me that i had a blown headgasket and there was moister getting in the cylinder from the radiator. this makes me wonder bc a couple days earlier i had the radiator checked for leaks with a pressure test and it came out fine. the dealership said that there was moister on the spark plugs; though i did not see the moister on the plugs, i think they are feeding me a load of bull, but it would explain were my radiator fluid is going. the price at the dealership to replace a headgasket his about 1200 and they said it would be a good idea to replace the timing beltwhile they got the engine open and it would turn out to be around 1600 for everything. so i figured that i could buy a new engine (an H22a1 from a prelude 92-96)and get a bunch of my buddies together and we can do a motor swap in a weekend. the man at the local body shop said that i should really consider going wit this swap. The motor costs about 900 shipped anywhere i want. i believe that the swap would be cheaper, and if there are small things that have to be done to the new engine then it woyuld still be cheaper then getting the headgasket and timing belt changed

Old 02-25-2024, 06:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Any updates?

Old 02-25-2024, 10:51 PM

Personally I have not done a swap Accord to Prelude engine , not sure if you might need a different ECU but if you do get the Prelude engine I would
definitely would replace all the seals and gaskets while engine in on the ground , used engine sitting for a while ,rubber seals and gasket get dry and crack and they will leak
You might want to find out all that entails from a to z before you buy the engine
As for your engine sounding like a lawnmower when it starts , if coolant gets in cylinders due to a blown head gasket, engine
when starting would misfire badly thus the lawnmower comes to life