General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 accord, swapping 97 accord motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Default 95 accord, swapping 97 accord motor

Hi good afternoon, this is my first post. I looked into the post a little and found some good information but alot of it was old and I just wanted a quick and precise answer to my question if you guys don't mind. I live in NY and emissions laws suck, check engine lights suck etc. So i just bought a 95 accord with a blown motor but came with a 97 accord motor and transmission that has 80k miles on it and should last quite awhile. I'm 29 years old I just want to make a fun sporty little daily cheap driver that I dont have to worry about commissions or check engine lights, I've done a decent amount of mechanic work but nothing too in-depth and mostly on chevy 350's. So anyway I anyway both motors are **Non vtec, and both auto trans***. I understand the 97 is obd2 and 95 isn't. I've read on these forms that the motor/trans will work but I'd have to swap sensors from the 95 onto the 97 motor...??? which sensors exactly and I've been told by person I bought it the torq converter on the 97 is different than the 95??? would this have to be changed ??? any and all help GREATLY appreciated, and any other suggestions and or tips n tricks in this little endeavor of mine I'd love. Thank you all for your time. Any questions for me let me know and I'll get back asap.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

I think the sensor changes are in 2 places. That's the way to do it, because the alternative is to get an OBD-2 computer out of the donor car, along with wiring harness...

Distributor - just swap the whole distributor, because the wiring harness plugs might be different.

Crankshaft sensor - IIRC your 95 has no sensor down there, so you could just leave that because there's nothing on the car to plug into it.

I don't know about the torque converter, so maybe someone else will chime in.