General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Honda Accord CEL and stall after warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Default 95 Honda Accord CEL and stall after warm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I recently bought a 95 Accord and since the weather has turned cold it's doing something funny. It always starts just fine cold or hot and runs fine. However, since it has been cold and I drive it for any amount of time and park for 10-15 min and start it again it runs fine except it will idle low almost to the point of dying and the engine light comes on. Then if I'm going slow and shift to 2nd it starts surging and lurching forward. I can let off the gas and depress the clutch and it clears up and will run just fine the rest of the time til I cut it off briefly again. The light will always go off when I shut the car off and won't come on again til I experience this again. Could this be a cracked head or blown head gasket? The only reason I ask is because the radiator is leaking at the top and it looks like the water pump is leaking unless it's the head or block. I'm hoping this is only a sensor problem. Thanks for any help!

Old 12-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Before going for the head gasket and all that. How about we start with the codes?

Many things it could be but if the ECU has found an issue I'd rather start there.

Look in the DIY section for the procedure on getting the codes.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

LEAKING isn't just a sensor problem. Deal with that.

The idle-control system will get confused with air-pockets in the cooling system. Check whether your throttle body needs to be cleaned.

Read the error code stored from the check-engine light being on. DIY section should have some instructions for that.