General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Honda Accord EX won't start.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Default 95 Honda Accord EX won't start.

In the winter I place water in my radiator didn't have time to go to anti-freeze. Long story short my car overheated white smoke and I noticed my check engine light came on once I made it home. I let my car cool down drove it around my neighborhood and it just cut off on me. I put some anti-freeze in and I noticed it was leaking from the lower right side (if facing the engine) before I got left. I had someone look at it my house they said It could be my timing belt and water pump. I try to start the car now and it acts like it want to start but doesn't. Could that be the issue or did I blow the engine.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you drove any significant distance (> 1 mile) w/ an overheated engine, you may have damaged engine; at least the head gasket, possibly more extensively.

Suggest determining if timing belt is intact by removing distributor cap and turning engine over w/ starter. Distributor rotor should turn.

Next check for spark/fuel issue by attempting to start w/ throttle body cleaner sprayed into air intake (5-10 sec charge).

If engine starts briefly, spark is OK and fuel supply is problem. If engine does not start, a fuel delivery issue is likely; main fuel relay, or fuel pump.

good luck