General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 accord antenna problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 04:03 PM
NALANALA
Unregistered
Default 96 accord antenna problem

I recently bought a 96 accord with theoriginal radio in the " code " light mode. I put an after market radio/cd player in and now can't get butone or two stations. I searched for any related posts and found one about repairing the rear glass antenna with a defroster repair kit. I found a plug at the top of the glass but can't tell if its the rear defrost or antenna. Also I don't feel any bumps on the inside of glass, where the metal strips would be. I think the strips are made in the glass so I don't think they could be damaged or repaired. How is the antenna cable routed from the dash? Could I just lay a whip style antenna in the trunk and run the wire to it? I pulled the new radio out and made sure its plugged in good already. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 96 accord antenna problem

the lines on the glass should tell you where the antenna is. You could run a new antenna, but laying the whip in the trunk won't get you any reception. If your stock antennat is shot, you can get the kind that you stick around the inside of the glass for a clean install.

Chances are good that the post in the middle of the plug is messed up. Try playing with that and make sure that it goes into the radio right.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 96 accord antenna problem

if the stock antenna doesnt fit in the new radio, you can buy an adapter for it. Best buy, circuit city, some walmarts...
also your antenna is most likely fine. Its at the very top of the rear window, the non-uniform wires. And yes, it is in the glass, so its unlikely its damaged.