General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord Speedometer & Other Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Default 96 Accord Speedometer & Other Problems

I have a 4 cylinder '96 accord dx with less than 140,000 miles(bought it new in Nov. 1995).....its been a great car but slowly everything has had to be replaced. Most recently I noticed my speedometer was randomly working and sometimes would be stuck at 0 even though I was going 40 mph....eventually it would start working and the needle would pop up. I also noticed in the past couple of weeks that I seem to be getting half the mileage I usually get on a tank of gas...regardless of the speedometer not working properly I was tracking where I went and how many miles and I was only getting about half of what I usually get. I took it to the shop and they couldn't find anything wrong but suggested I have the VSS and MAP sensor replaced....so I did....and less than 24 hours later.....I am having the same trouble again. I have also had issues with the 'check engine' light coming on for the past 2 yrs and have had that checked repeatedly...it may be off for a day or so after I take it to the shop and sometimes maybe even 2 weeks but then it always comes back on and they can't figure it out. Feel like I just blew $360 on needless repairs and nothing is resolved...please can anyone help or suggest exactly what a mechanic should do? I want to take it back to the same shop and make them repair it for free.

Last edited by nsrockchik; 09-13-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 09-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I moved your post to a new thread to get better response. Forum tries to avoid appending new problems to old threads.

First step is to go to Autozone, et al and have codes read (write them down Pnnnn) and post them for guidance.

You were taken advantage by the shop. Never allow work on "suggestions" as they don't have a clue whether it may or may not help your problem, but are certain it will help their bottom line.

Unless the code for VSS problem comes up, the problem may be failed gauge panel circuit board or speedometer movement. If the odometer and cruise control is working, you can rule out VSs.

good luck

Old 09-14-2013, 07:15 PM

had same
`

Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 AM

Thank you. I took my car to Advanced Auto Parts and had them check the 'engine light' and the code that popped up was "Bank 1 System too lean".....no one seems to know what that means? Do you? I know the shop people mentioned that the code coming up was 'too lean' and they hadn't known what it meant either. I want to call the shop people back and ask them to recheck everything but I feel like I need to know more information to tell them. Reading other folks' issues on this it seems like perhaps the cluster needs to be replaced? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Old 09-16-2013, 09:29 AM

Also, the speedometer is still randomly working....worked properly for 2 miles to take my child to school this a.m. and then didn't register speed for couple miles before it bounced back up and started working again. Its very random.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

There appear to be at least two separate issues.

1. For the speedometer, it probably is due to the speedometer printed circuit board. You can replace just the board from a used one; so, that you still retain the original odometer reading on your car. See this link on what I am referring to.

Honda-Tech - View Single Post - Speedo Works randomly

As an alternative, if you or someone can do a little desoldering/soldering; you can try replacing just the two capacitors. The guy in the link you originally posted to, had success with the speedometer after replacing the two capacitors.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...olved**-54765/

The capacitors are cheap. The attached pic. shows the capacitors.

2. For the other issue, get the actual trouble code (for example, P0171, etc.) and post it.

Attached Thumbnails 96 Accord Speedometer & Other Problems-circuit-board.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 PM

honda speedo's are an issue. if you don't want to mess with it, there is a vendor on ebay out of north carolina who will repair it for you for $60 + shipping. search honda accord speedometer repair or email to xxxx.

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-15-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Email removed