General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Accord Timing Sprocket STUCK on Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake

On the first page, notice the crankshaft sprocket. The timing marks and the key are all at 12oclock. Not sure, but the photos look like your crankshaft is now positioned with the keyway at about 8oclock. Not knowing how the crankshaft or camshaft has been turned during this whole process, you need to avoid any of the valves hitting any pistons.

My recommendation is to turn the crankshaft directly to 9oclock (or 3oclock if I misinterpreted your photos); NEVER turning it through either 12oclock or 6oclock. That will position all 4 pistons at mid-stroke. Then you can spin the camshaft any which way you want without risking the valves hitting any pistons. When the camshaft is positioned properly, then turn the crankshaft directly to the proper timing position & install the belt.
Jim, he has a V6. While the 4 cylinder description above is great, I think he'll need the V6 version. The rest of your advice is spot on though.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

LOL, that's what I get for not going back up to the top of the thread... SORRY!

Old 03-30-2020, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
LOL, that's what I get for not going back up to the top of the thread... SORRY!
He's also added it to his signature.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Jim Blake and Toecutter THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this follow up!! I really appreciate it! Its saving me a lot of headache as I have so far avoided digging myself deeper into more trouble caused by my repairs. I will be careful to align the timing according to this information and will come back if I am fuzzy on any of it. Now I am heading to the store where they have received a m16 x 1.5 Tap for me to chase the threads on the snout of the CRANKshaft (not cam) and I also want to find that green locktite that was mentioned although it was not available at one place that I looked. I am then going to pick-n-pull - where another v6 96 accord got towed in on 3/30 - to get a few other things that might be useful, maybe the water pump is newish or other things under the timing cover such as the crank sensors that are wired in there and a new air intake above because the rubber is starting to go on mine.

THANK YOU! I will follow up with more documentation and photos of the process so this thread can be useful to others. I really appreciate you good council here on the hondaaccordforum.com !

Old 04-01-2020, 07:12 PM

Get a new water pump..never a used one...hopefully the crank pulley is off when you get to the junkyard..if not you will need a crank holder tool..if you dont have one take a spark plug out and put a screwdriver in the cylinder..now turn crankshaft until piston bdc..now shove some vacuum hose into cylinder..move the crankshaft until it wedges the hose and piston..now remove crankshaft bolt..

Old 04-02-2020, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by bobwho
Jim Blake and Toecutter THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this follow up!! I really appreciate it! Its saving me a lot of headache as I have so far avoided digging myself deeper into more trouble caused by my repairs. I will be careful to align the timing according to this information and will come back if I am fuzzy on any of it. Now I am heading to the store where they have received a m16 x 1.5 Tap for me to chase the threads on the snout of the CRANKshaft (not cam) and I also want to find that green locktite that was mentioned although it was not available at one place that I looked. I am then going to pick-n-pull - where another v6 96 accord got towed in on 3/30 - to get a few other things that might be useful, maybe the water pump is newish or other things under the timing cover such as the crank sensors that are wired in there and a new air intake above because the rubber is starting to go on mine.

THANK YOU! I will follow up with more documentation and photos of the process so this thread can be useful to others. I really appreciate you good council here on the hondaaccordforum.com !
You might have to order the green Loctite. It's Bearing and Sleeve retainer. At work I use it to retain bronze bushings for link pins on the machinery we build. I've also used it to hold screw in lug studs. No issues with them in over 20 years.