General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Etsxp
Unregistered
Angry 96 won't start

So it's my sisters car but I have to work on it anyway I think it's a 96 it has vtech so I'm assuming it's the top of the line model haha, anyway story is it won't start I found to problem is the solenoid or possibly starter itshelf, when I bang it with a hammer and turn the key starts right up anyway just wondering if anyone chould I.d. That part it's on the left side of the motor, very top, any info will help thanks

Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like you can get some parts for the starter. This picture is for auto-trans, I think the starter is different for a 5-spd.

Search for 'starter repair'. HondaDude has posted some pictures of replacing brushes in the starter motor.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Etsxp
Unregistered
Default So u think

It's the started itshelf some internal components inside that I need to rebuild? It's a 96 automatic so ya do hondas have solenoids for the starter? SoRry I'm a ford guy so I don't know much about Honda haha

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Looks like you can get some parts for the starter. This picture is for auto-trans, I think the starter is different for a 5-spd.

Search for 'starter repair'. HondaDude has posted some pictures of replacing brushes in the starter motor.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:06 PM
87EBBronco
Unregistered

The solenoid is part 7 in the exploded view. I'm not sure if you can replace it separate or not. Its not a separate part on the firewall like the Fords. I had the solenoid on my Ford go south this year during hunting season, luckily I had a spare on hand.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Etsxp
Unregistered
Default alright

so is there any way that u know of repaing a solenoid or should i just try to replace it?

Originally Posted by 87EBBronco
The solenoid is part 7 in the exploded view. I'm not sure if you can replace it separate or not. Its not a separate part on the firewall like the Fords. I had the solenoid on my Ford go south this year during hunting season, luckily I had a spare on hand.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, having the number 7 implies that Honda theoretically sells the part. Finding it in stock at some dealer is another story.

Find the description by HondaDude. Apparently it's possible to find the contacts inside the solenoid that are often the real reason for its failure. Not from a Honda dealer, but some place that sells parts for rebuilding motors & alternators & stuff.

It's more money but easier job to simply replace the entire starter including the solenoid. That way all the motor bearings are new, brushes in the main motor are new, etc... Your car, your money, your choice.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Etsxp
Unregistered

Alright oh ya I found out it's a 1998 but I'm sure that's not a huge issue but ya I'm not sure who Honda guy is so I'f you chould clarify it'd be great haha. But I'n the mean time I'm gonna see if they sell the solenoid at kragen.

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Yep, having the number 7 implies that Honda theoretically sells the part. Finding it in stock at some dealer is another story.

Find the description by HondaDude. Apparently it's possible to find the contacts inside the solenoid that are often the real reason for its failure. Not from a Honda dealer, but some place that sells parts for rebuilding motors & alternators & stuff.

It's more money but easier job to simply replace the entire starter including the solenoid. That way all the motor bearings are new, brushes in the main motor are new, etc... Your car, your money, your choice.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Since you can make it work by hitting the starter, that means the starter is bad. The only question is whether you want to replace the whole starter assembly or just a couple contact inside it. Replacing the whole starter is easy, just buy a new one & bolt it in.

The 1998 4-cyl auto-trans used a Mitsuba starter. The other threads I was talking about were for a ND starter. Maybe the same general idea, but you'll have to find a source to buy the contacts.

Here's a couple threads where "hondadude" (that's his screen name here) provided some answers.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=18013

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=22979