General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Accord auto no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 97 Accord auto no start

ORIGINAL: bboyalex

When i turn the key to on, everything works, lights, ac, everything. I can hear the fuel pump starting, but as soon as i try to start it, everything dims(or stops) and nothing, not a sound.
is it ,, or is it not making any sounds???
on 1 post you say it makes a whining sound,, depending on wether it makes noise or not diagnose could be different

Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 AM

well you can barely hear it

Old 06-15-2007, 12:42 PM

"I can start it by jumping soleniod and starter, after i do that it starts fine until i drive it and park it. It doesnt happen everytime."

"When i turn the key to on, everything works, lights, ac, everything. I can hear the fuel pump starting, but as soon as i try to start it, everything dims(or stops) and nothing, not a sound."

When you jump the solenoid, are you shorting the two heavy terminals, or the small "start" contact to the "battery" supply?

I have seen bad connections seemingly "cure" themselves when you bypass the ignition switch, but usually they come back, much like yours is doing.

Check your main fuses in the fuse block under the hood. There should be some big fusible link type fuses there for battery main. Tighten the screws holding them down. Since you say you're losing "everything", you're probably looking for a main feed problem.

It sounds to me like your battery and heavy cables are fine, but you're losing power somewhere due to a bad connection. I think the battery main power comes right off the starter battery feed, so you should check that too.

Another thing I've seen cause headaches is the ground wire. Make sure there is a wire between the engine and the vehicle frame. Sometimes it's another smaller wire off the battery, sometimes it's from an engine part to the firewall or fender.

Good luck with it, and let us know what you find...

Old 06-15-2007, 04:43 PM

When you jump the solenoid, are you shorting the two heavy terminals, or the small "start" contact to the "battery" supply?
I just touch the solenoid with one end of a metal key and the starter contact with the other end. My friend showed me that.

Oh, and everything stops working only when i turn the key to start the car, but as soon as i release it everything starts working again...