General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord distibutor question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Unhappy 97 Accord distibutor question

Hello,

Just removed the distributor on my 97 Accord 2.2 liter to replace the O ring seal. The one on the distributor was completely dry rotted, so hopefully this will stop oil from leaking.

Job was going pretty good. Once I had the distributor out, I decided to remove the ignition rotor for replacement. Removed the set screw, and could not get rotor off and it is jammed on the distributor shaft pretty good.

I have 2 questions here. First I cracked and split the plastic leak cover under the rotor. Not sure of it's purpose but is that cover absolutely required. If so I guess I could try to glue it back together or use electrical tape to put it back in place somewhat. Called the dealer, that cover does not come separate, but with a new distributor as a whole and don't want to do that.

Next question, I've got the rotor that is locked on the shaft soaking in some penetrating oil. Anybody got any suggestions on how to get the old rotor off? Also while prying back and forth, the actual distributor shaft has moved some, so I am concerned about that too.

Any help fellas?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

I think at least partly that shield is for electric shielding between the rotor/cap and the timing sensors below. It might not be a good shiled if it's cracked & repaired.

If the distributor is removed, don't sweat about spinning the shaft. When you put it back on, just be aware of the offset blade on the shaft so you don't put it back 180-degrees out of phase.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Wink

Well Jim, finally got the old rotor off. Had to basically destroy it until it was just a metal collar on the top off the distributor shaft. Then was able to use a battery post cable puller to remove the old rotor. Think I bought that one at Autozone, so now cleaned up the shaft and going with Honda parts.

And the dealer did have the shield after all, so got the cap and new rotor also.

Going to install and fire it up, and hopefully timing won't be a problem.

Thanks again!