Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

quick question guys.. 2009 accord new sub setup question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Default quick question guys.. 2009 accord new sub setup question

So im totally new to the whole car audio thing and i currently own a 2009 accord lx sedan. i wanted more low end so i went and got the JL 12 W1 powerwedge that came already inside the ported box along with the JL J2 250.1 amp. The question i have is since i had the guys in the shop install it for me i dont know if the amp automatically has those things (i dont even know what its called) that takes all the low end and gives it to the sub while giving some relief to the stock speakers so they dont stress so much with the bass but on my radio i have two settings.. Bass and Treble.. i keep the treble at +5 but now do i keep the Bass at 0 or all the way to -5? does it matter? i do hear the stock speakers try and output bass when i turn the bass **** up but i thought the sub now takes care of that?? hopefully one of you understands what im trying to say haha thanks in advance!! oh and as far as i know they installed also a converter for the back of the stock HU but no cleansweep or anything like that

Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

i understand what you are saying.

no, the new powerwedge system does not take bass out of your stock speakers. you'd need to install passive crossovers on the speakers to do that. you can do that fairly easily and cheaply if you wish.

keep the bass at 0 or -2. if you want more bass, you can ask the shop to tweak the amp levels, or i can help you with that.

careful with the amp gain, too much and you'll damage the sub. if the amp has a bass boost EQ on it, you can boost it at the sub amp, and cut the bass at the head unit, to kind of achieve what you want.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

i just checked and yes, the amp does have a bass EQ - at 45Hz. the stock head unit bass EQ is probably around 100Hz.

you can adjust the bass boost on the sub amp to your liking, but don't go over half way.

you can also adjust the LP filter frequency to your liking. you won't hurt anything playing with that. set it wherever you like best - most people like 60-80Hz

Old 08-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

also, that amp should have come with a remote level control (a **** wired to the amp that plugs into the "remote level port"). mount that up by the dash so you can adjust the sub volume based on your tastes that day and the music. some recordings need more sub level, some need less.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 PM

oh man thank you! youve helped a lot ive been lurking here a couple of days and i was hoping youd throw some input haha

and yeah the the remote level control is installed already

last question is.. since i keep the HU bass all the way down to -5 it also takes a little bit of the mids along with it not really that noticable though since the HU EQ is pretty primitive.. just bass and treble.. so setting the amps Lp Filter Freq to 80 would be a good idea right instead of leaving it at 60? maybe itll bring back some of those higher freq around that range??

Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

well, it depends on what you define as mids. but yea, it can't hurt to increase the LP filter freq to 80 or even higher to make up for what the HU eq is taking out.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 PM

great! thank you

Old 08-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the HAF and Thank You for posting with us..