General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 accord doesn't start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 97 accord doesn't start.

A few days ago I try to start my car and all it does is turn over but not actually start. By the fourth try it stopped rolling over. So I pop the hood and I see smoke coming from my battery/air filter area and smell electrical burning. I haven't tried to start it since since I don't won't to kill the starter. For the last week before this happened it was a littler harder to start but it would start and only took one try. My car has 219,5xx miles on it. I'm still getting power bc I can turn my lights on and they rant dim at all. What could this be? Is it time to scrap it?

Old 11-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If engine turns over too slow, it may not be able to start. Corroded and/or loose battery cables will prevent adequate amperage delivery to starter and cause slow turnover.

Smoke from battery indicates high resistance; poor connector or corroded cable. I would inspect, clean and replace as necessary.

Don't turn engine over for very long period if it turns over adequately to start. Something is wrong that won't be fixed by extended starting period.

When no-start condition is present, try listening for fuel pump in fuel tank when ignition switch is turned to ON (not Start). Fan/radio off to hear hum from fuel pump for 2-3 secs, then goes off.

If you hear fuel pump, then fuel delivery is likely OK and problem is more likely ignition fault. See following link for detailed ignition diagnostics.

Honda Acura Starting Problems Repair Guide, Main Relay Locations

good luck