General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 accord heating problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

The next step is to test the coolant temperature switch A (I called it the radiator switch earlier). Temp switch A next to where the lower radiator hose connects to the thermostat housing. The electrical connector is green. Unplug that connector with the engine shut off and use a thin paperclip or a piece of wire to short the electrical connector. Turn on the car with the a/c turned off. Do both fans turn on?

There is another coolant temperature switch with a green connector where the upper radiator hose connects to the cylinder head. This turns on only the passenger fan when the engine is shut off if the temperature is above 223 °F. Temp sensor B looks identical to temp sensor A except it turns on the fan at a higher temperature. You might as well short this connector to see if the radiator fan turns on when the engine is shut off.

If you have to replace the sensor, make sure you get the correct sensor.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The next step is to test the coolant temperature switch A (I called it the radiator switch earlier). Temp switch A next to where the lower radiator hose connects to the thermostat housing. The electrical connector is green. Unplug that connector with the engine shut off and use a thin paperclip or a piece of wire to short the electrical connector. Turn on the car with the a/c turned off. Do both fans turn on?

There is another coolant temperature switch with a green connector where the upper radiator hose connects to the cylinder head. This turns on only the passenger fan when the engine is shut off if the temperature is above 223 °F. Temp sensor B looks identical to temp sensor A except it turns on the fan at a higher temperature. You might as well short this connector to see if the radiator fan turns on when the engine is shut off.

If you have to replace the sensor, make sure you get the correct sensor.
No matter how I ask this I'm gonna sound extremely dumb. But, how do I short it with a paper clip? Like after shutting if off and unplugging it or whatever it is, how do I short it exactly? How will I know if its the sensor?

Old 11-14-2016, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

There aren't dumb questions on here, and it's always better to ask.

To short a connector, bend a paperclip or a piece of wire to a U-shape. Unplug the sensor. Stick each end of the wire into the plastic connector (wire harness side) where the sensor's prongs normally connect.

The sensor is either on the thermostat housing or next to it. On the 97 accord, follow the lower radiator hose from the radiator to where it connects to the engine. It connects behind (towards the windshield) and below the distributor. The plastic connector for the wire harness is green. One wire color is black and the other is green going to the sensor.

If in doubt, take a picture and post it on here. Just make sure you are zoomed out so we can get our bearings.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
There aren't dumb questions on here, and it's always better to ask.

To short a connector, bend a paperclip or a piece of wire to a U-shape. Unplug the sensor. Stick each end of the wire into the plastic connector (wire harness side) where the sensor's prongs normally connect.

The sensor is either on the thermostat housing or next to it. On the 97 accord, follow the lower radiator hose from the radiator to where it connects to the engine. It connects behind (towards the windshield) and below the distributor. The plastic connector for the wire harness is green. One wire color is black and the other is green going to the sensor.

If in doubt, take a picture and post it on here. Just make sure you are zoomed out so we can get our bearings.
Okay that helped a lot more, and I appreciate that there are no dumb questions here.
What am I looking for when I do this? What signs and will this tell me if the sensor is bad?
I will be doing this first thing tomorrow so if I have concerns I will definitely post pictures

Old 11-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

When you short that connector, turn the key to the II position, but don't start the engine. Both fans should immediately turn on. Make sure the a/c is turned off.