General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97' Mystery Clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Default 97' Mystery Clutch...

Hey folks...got a weird one here. Not a problem right now but maybe someone can explain what happened. About a month ago I did a fluid check and my clutch fluid was a tad low but not too bad and I topped it off. Then a couple days later I go out to my car and the clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor and I am thinking how did this happen. Well, I checked the fluid level and it was all gone. So, I had my buddy come over (who is a really good mechanic) and he checked everything and there are no leaks. Well, we filled it back up and it took the longest amount of time to bleed out the system...about 20 minutes which I have never experienced before. Usually can do in about 5-10.

Ok so we get her back to normal tension and all is working fine. Then the next day I go to drive and my clutch pedal feels like the fluid has all gone out again, but it still engages. I check the fluid and this time it is still full!!! So, I drive around and all works but the pedal feels really loose. THEN...the very next day I go to drive my car and the pedal pressure is BACK to normal and has worked perfectly ever since and the fluid holds at the top!!!

Can someone explain why and how this could have happened so I know...not knowing is killing me and my friend cannot explain it neither.

Thanks

peace out,
daddy

Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Losing fluid means that you have a leak somewhere. You need to find that leak.

The two sources are the master or slave cylinder. The master can leak in the engine bay or inside of the car where the clutch pedal rod inserts. Look for black/brown stains under it on the carpet.

On the slave cylinder pull the boot back and see if is filled with brake fluid.

As for the pedal feeling better, the seals the master or slave may be deteriorating and allowing fluid to bypass the seal. That would feel like there is some air in the lines when pushing down the pedal.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 AM

That is the weird part PAhonda! We did check for leaks at both the master and slave and there were none! That is what we can't figure out...and now everything has been fine for the last few weeks. No fluid loss and the pedal feels normal. That is why it is a mystery to us.

peace out,
daddy

Old 10-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

The master is the one place where it can leak back into the reservoir without leaking OUT. But of course that doesn't explain it losing fluid inventory.

Follow the tubing around the engine-bay from the MC to the slave. Maybe it's leaking somewhere along that way?