General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord Engine shudder woes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 PM
Default RE: 98 Accord Engine shudder woes...

Disconcerting News...

After checking the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor (the latter two were a bit dirty, but cleaned up ok), I decided to have the CEL codes checked at the parts store again. Of course, this was after I decided to reset it by removing the fuse (dumb me). I got a P0336 which I believe is a Crank Position Sensor issue. That would explain the sometimes-no-wanna-start and the the random misfires at low RPM, as well as the inability to rev over 3k rpm. Poop! I'll delve into the forum to see what I can find about it, but as far as I know the sensor is about $200 (UGGH!) and a royal pain the hind parts to fix. Unless I was misinformed, I have to strip down the front of the motor and get the timing cover off, yes?

I may just throw in the towel on this one, guys, and find a mechanic to fix my headache. Anybody know a respectable (preferably inexpensive since my wife just broke her ankle and I start a new job Monday) mechanic around Manassas, VA? What a pain...

Old 05-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

How long have you had the car? You can try to check the wires coming out from behind the timing belt cover. Maybe the wire is pinched or the connection is loose.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Assuming the 99 is similar to 94-97 Accords, the crankshaft pulley must be removed to remove the lower timing cover (not a fun job!). You will need a manual for starters. Check aftermarket parts for lower prices. There is a possibility that dirt/oil are covering the sensor or rotor. This causes signal degradation and sets code. I've had this happen to ABS wheel speed sensors which are similar. However, if you have to tear into it to access the sensor, better to replace IMO.

Actually, I think you did the right thing by resetting the ECU before getting codes. Sometimes when you let a fault run for some time, there will be multiple conflicting codes. Better to reset ECU and see what pops up first. This is usually related to the fault.

good luck

Old 06-01-2008, 02:47 PM

I just bought the car a couple of weeks ago and am starting to feel like I got swindled.... [:@] I'll check the wires and connections tomorrow and see if that helps. My cruise control on my exploder had the same issue once - wouldn't work so I pulled the connectors under the hood, cleaned 'em, and hooked it back up. It's been working fine for the last 2 years.

Tex - I think that the 94-97 accords had the 2.2l motor, and was replaced by the 2.3. Whether or not that was just a change in bore or stroke or a complete engine redesign, I don't know. Maybe someone can educate my ignorance?? But I think you may be right about removing the pulley. I had to do the same thing to a stratus. Gripes! It's a whole lot easier with an impact and a pulley puller...

Has anybody had to replace their sensor on a 2.3? Maybe I'll see if anybody has written up a timing belt replacement since I have to tear in to it the same way. Otherwise, I assume it's pretty straighforward: take everything off the front of the motor - PS, AC, Alt, engine mount, etc - then remove the cover. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

To REPLACE the crank sensor you have to remove the pulley & the timing belts. But I'mpretty surethe plug is outside. Get underneath & look for a wire coming out of the lower timing cover. On the back side near the firewall, not on the front near the alternator. It's down low, so you may have to be underneath to even see it.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 AM

Looks like you are on the right track here, but I wanted to ask one thing (probably not the problem, but I just want to make sure). When you replaced the spark plugs, you didn't use BOSCH plugs did you? BOCSH plugs have been known to cause fits and fry coils in Hondas.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:13 PM

No Bosch plugs... Just good 'ol NGK's. You wouldn't think that a car would be so temperamental to something so simple as a spark plug. Dang temperamental honda...

Old 06-20-2008, 04:01 PM

So I figured out what the problem is / was... The danged timing belt!! It was so stretched out that the motor wouldn't stay in time. The Crank sensor could have explained the engine randomly turning off. So I had them both replaced. Now I just have to get the EGR done. Poo.. Just one more thing to make me really not like the person who sold it to me, since they told me the timing belt had been changed. Well it sure hadn't! I guess I should just be lucky that it didn't let go and send my pistons slamming in to some open valves... Or that nobody hit me when it killed several times while trying to turn or start in traffic...

Old 06-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, you must be very lucky.

I didn't think that a timing belt could stretch much without jumping teeth. Anyway, I'm glad that you got it fixed.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Timing belt may have been replaced, and improperly tensioned. You are indeed fortunate.

good luck