General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Accord shifting problem. Please help

Old 04-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Default 98 Accord shifting problem. Please help

Afew times in the past I would depress shift lever button in but lever would not move. I just figured I did not press brake pedal enough. But lately it is happening way too often and I feel I am going to get stranded. What can cause this problem. I keep pumping the brake pedal and slam the button hard and it will eventually work, when the problem occurs. I am not sure if this is helping or not but the button finally goes in and I can finally shift into gear. Any ideas on what can be causing this? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 98 Accord shifting problem. Please help

There are two likely possibilities; 1) your brake light switch is not working. This also drives the shift lock-out and would prevent shift lever movement, or 2) the shift lock-out solenoid is not adjusted properly and binds rather than properly engaging.

Check 1) by getting someone to check for brake lights when you press the pedal. If no brake lights you've found the problem.

If brake lights are OK, then 2) is likely the problem. This requires console removal to access and adjust the solenoid movement per Honda shop manual. It is possible that solenoid has failed electrically, but this seems less likely since it works intermittently.

Are you aware the key slotin the console allows you to move the shift lever by inserting a key into the slot and defeating the lock-out mechanically?

good luck