General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord V6 EX 3.0 V-Tech- Fuel Main Relay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Default 98 Accord V6 EX 3.0 V-Tech- Fuel Main Relay?

Hi I posted about my no start,battery dead, jumped, still no start. I read as much as I could through forums, and want to check the fuel main relay.
My manual doesn't list it's location with that title. Is it possible that it is labled
IG1 slot #24?.... under the passenger side hood?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light turns on for about 2 seconds, the fuel pump should also turn on for about 2 seconds. The fuel pump makes a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat, so turn off your radio, blower, etc... and listen carefully. Let us know if that sound is present or missing when the car is not starting.

I read you other post about the no start. You may want to remove the battery and take it to the parts store to have it tested.

The codes can be read by shorting two pins on the 16 pin obd2 connector using a thin paperclip or a piece of wire. Make sure that you are shorting the pin with the brown wire to the pin with the black wire.

Search hpG3Sazz3GA on YouTube for a good video on doing this.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to move this thread to the general tech help, because it belongs there.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 PM

hi pahonda i can't type with my bum arm today. i've pretty much figured there is no sound. i have a hunch it's the fuel relay, going to test tthat theory today, take the battery for a test. i really don't know what the obd2 or obd1 is...but i'll try ytube.

thanks so much

Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

If you are not sure what the fuel pump should sound like, you can have a friend turn the key to the II position, then you can listen where you fill the gas tank with the cap removed.

OBD means on board diagnostics. OBD is what you use to read engine codes. OBD2 uses a standard 16-pin connector for all cars in the USA. All cars starting in 1996 had to have this. OBD1 wasn't standardized. On Hondas, all you needed was a thin paperclip to do check for codes. Every car manufacturer had a different way to do this.

Your 98 accord has a standard OBD2 connector, so you can hook up a generic scanner to get the codes. If you don't have access to a scanner, you can use the procedure on YouTube that I referenced to get engine codes.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:31 PM

Update,friend listened at rear trunk and heard nothing. got anew battery (had a dead cell).Car still wouldn't start. Sprayed starting fluid in "butterfly", car started, ran a few seconds....so now we know it's a fuel problem. I'm hoping it's the "main relay" as they title it at Honda. It's from my understanding the "fuel pump relay" part #39400-S84-003.
This seems the next step, order and replace.....keeping my fingers crossed. If you know a better step please tell me. Nothing can happen until next week, my arm bad, need a friend to assist.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hope you arm heals soon....let us know how it goes next week. Hope you buy your friend a cup of coffee or something. You are on the right track.

Last edited by poorman212; 09-10-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Default Exactly Where Is It?

Hello All
Now that we have figured out that it is most likely the "main relay" and the part number. Does anyone know exactly where it is located on my make and model car? I've searched all the web, seen numerous diagrams, watched the YTube replacement lessons but most are for older models. It would really speed up things if I can direct my friend to the right location.... it's pretty frustrating as i can't look for it myself. I have a '98 V6 EX 2dr. automatic, 3.0.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rolling
Hello All
Now that we have figured out that it is most likely the "main relay" and the part number. Does anyone know exactly where it is located on my make and model car? I've searched all the web, seen numerous diagrams, watched the YTube replacement lessons but most are for older models. It would really speed up things if I can direct my friend to the right location.... it's pretty frustrating as i can't look for it myself. I have a '98 V6 EX 2dr. automatic, 3.0.
Here are pictures. You can even attempt to repair it by resoldering.

v6performance.net/forums/6g-faq/25691-diy-replacing-main-relay-av6.html

techauto.awardspace.com/solutions.html