General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord Wagon alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:56 AM
dfrank
Unregistered
Default 98 Accord Wagon alignment question

If you jack up the front end of the vehicle, start it up and crank the steering wheel one way or the other, what would you expect to happen? Should the wheel automatically come right i.e. front wheels align back to straight ahead? (That's what I would expect, but first want to confirm that this is the expected behavior)

Now for my experience, I can crank the wheel all the way left and it will slowly drift all the way back to the right (as if turning right). Odd, no? Is this a problem (I don't notice any alignment pull to the right when driving) and if so what might I look at or suspect for further troubleshooting? Thanks

Old 06-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

The self-centering behavior while driving comes from the forces of the road, acting on the wheels with positive caster. But when the front is lifted, I'd expect the wheels to stay where you put them. Not drift all the way to the right.
Apparently it's not enough of a force (to the right) for you to notice while driving. It's probably OK. To be honest, I've never done that test.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:57 AM
dfrank
Unregistered

Well I wasn't worried about it either. But we saw it happening during WOF checkup (think inspection to USA) and the place I was it wasn't sure they'd pass it.

They wanted me to go to the Honda dealer. I went to a different shop and they had no problem but it is still curious. I guess you'd never notice this usually, as you'd probably not have the car running and be spinning the steering wheel with the car up on jacks.