General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 honda accord driver seat fell back.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Default 98 honda accord driver seat fell back.

While doing some work under the dash I had the coupe drivers seat layed back althe way for room. Now the seat will not lock in the upright position, just fall back into the back seat of coupe. I picked up an exploded parts view but can't really see what I need to do. Searched the site and found all the other issues, but not mine. Would gladly appreciate the help. The seats on this car are power but the latch is mechanical. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Is the driver's seat manual, powered (2-way), or powered (8-way)? Side airbag, yes or no?

Old 09-27-2013, 03:48 AM

There are two switches on the side, so a two way I assume, I don't believe there is a side air bag, no.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have the 8-way powered seats. 2-way only goes up and down.

You may have to remove the driver's seat first to see what the problem is. It is a problem with or at the recline adjuster; but, check that the bolts are not broken or damaged at the recline adjuster or if there may be something you can do to make it work properly again.

To remove the seat to examine the recline adjuster and bolts:
1. Position the driver’s seat for removal:
• Adjust the seat to the middle of its tracks.
• Adjust the seat cushion height all the way up at the front and rear.
2. Make sure you have the anti-theft code for the radio, then write down the radio station presets.
3. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
4. Remove the driver’s seat. There are four bolts that hold down the seat tracks. Pry the plastic covers off the seat track ends, then remove the 4 bolts. Then lift up the seat and disconnect the electrical seat harness connector.

5. Carefully pry off the two switch ***** from the seat,then remove the recline cover (three screws) and the height outer cover (three screws). (See attached pic. for cover removal.)

The recline adjuster part varies depending on your specific model; but, it is like part #6 in this diagram. If it needs replacement, it is not cheap new; so, salvage yard may be a good option.

Attached Thumbnails 98 honda accord driver seat fell back.-recline-cover-removal.jpg   98 honda accord driver seat fell back.-front-seat-components-l-4-way-power-seat-456686.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-27-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-29-2013, 02:17 AM

most likely you got an issue with # 6 ,make sure that the bolts are all in and are tight

Old 10-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Default Fixed

After following directions and looking at the seat minus the housing covers I was able to not only clean the mechanism, but also get enough change for lunch. After putting back together and reconnecting power, the seat went from a full recline to the standard driving position with out a hitch. Both answerrs were extremely helpful.