General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Honda Accord EX won't start v6

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Default 98 Honda Accord EX won't start v6

Recently, the last couple of days, I noticed that I'd turn my key in the ignition and nothing would happen. I thought maybe there was an issue with the battery, so I took it to autozone and they determined that the alternator needed replaced. I replaced the alternator and had Autozone check the charging system again and the battery was bad. They gave me a new one under warrantee since the battery was only a couple of months old. I thought that I fixed the issue.

I drove about 150 miles on the car yesterday and went into a mcdonalds, ordered food. Came back out and turned the key, and nothing.. the engine didn't turn on.. and all of the dash lights came on.

Tried again and again nothing. I called for roadside assistance for a jump. I got back into the car and and tried a third time and the car started right up. I drove another 100 miles on the car without incident.

Today, I took it back to Advance Auto parts and had them check the battery, alternator and starter again. All of those components passed. So I replaced the Main Relay under the dash, hoping that would fix the issue.

I drove another 5 miles, went into a grocery store. Came out and turned the key to start the car and nothing ( same behavior as before, lights but not turning over.)

Tried again.. and it started right up.

Could this be the ignition switch that's causing the problem?

So far, I've managed to get the car to start.. but I'm worried that with this being somewhat of an intermittent issue that there might be a point that the car won't start and I'll be stranded somewhere.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Cal

Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

You need to diagnose before replacing more parts. Something is wrong in the wiring/parts between the starter and the ignition switch.

The starter has two wires connected to it. The small wire should get 12V when you turn the key to the II position. Do you have a volt meter or a 12V test light?

Also, check that your brake lights are working.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 AM

I have a multimeter at home. The problem is that I'm on vacation.

That's why I replaced the alternator before I left. I didn't want to drive 300+ miles on a bad alternator.

I'll check the power at the starter motor and check that the brake lights are working and let you know what I find.

Cal