General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 EX Coupe No crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 11:11 PM
Default 99 EX Coupe No crank no start

My car, a 99 Accord EX coupe manual with a 2.3 VTEC has been having an intermittent starting problem. Battery and alternator are fine, I've replaced the starter and tried bypassing the clutch safety switch with no luck. Occasionally it will start just fine but other times the starter won't even click but all my dash lights come on but dim when I move the key to the start position. When the starter won't go I just end up roll starting it and it runs fine without any stalling problems. Could it be a starter relay or anti theft issue? I've heard main relay but I can hear the fuel pump run and most people with that issue it sounds like their car will crank.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by DubSteph96
My car, a 99 Accord EX coupe manual with a 2.3 VTEC has been having an intermittent starting problem. Battery and alternator are fine, I've replaced the starter and tried bypassing the clutch safety switch with no luck. Occasionally it will start just fine but other times the starter won't even click but all my dash lights come on but dim when I move the key to the start position. When the starter won't go I just end up roll starting it and it runs fine without any stalling problems. Could it be a starter relay or anti theft issue? I've heard main relay but I can hear the fuel pump run and most people with that issue it sounds like their car will crank.
It could be a bad rebuilt stater, as that's pretty common these days. Or it could be an anti-theft system, if you have one (like an aftermarket system). The next time it does it's no start thing, put the trans in neutral, and using a screw driver jump the 2 wires on the starter solenoid and see if it starts. If it doesn't, then it's the starter. If it does, it could still be the starter, as it's drawing too much power (lights dim while trying to start). Let us know what you find.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
It could be a bad rebuilt stater, as that's pretty common these days. Or it could be an anti-theft system, if you have one (like an aftermarket system). The next time it does it's no start thing, put the trans in neutral, and using a screw driver jump the 2 wires on the starter solenoid and see if it starts. If it doesn't, then it's the starter. If it does, it could still be the starter, as it's drawing too much power (lights dim while trying to start). Let us know what you find.
Just tried jumping the solenoid with a piece of wire, fired right up. Got a warranty so I'll see if I can get it replaced and see if that fixes it

Old 12-26-2018, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

If you supplied power to the small starter wire that is blk/wht, then the starter is not the issue.

The issue is likely the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Another cause could be the clutch switch. You can try bypassing the clutch switch, but I don't have a wiring diagram on this computer to give you specifics on how to do this on your car.