General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99accord doesnt start occasionally, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:44 PM
scotthoward
Unregistered
Default 99accord doesnt start occasionally, thoughts?

hi all, new here

wife has a 99 accord
most of the time (80%), it starts with no problem.
sporadically, when she tries to start it, it will just click.
sometimes when it clicks, she will stop, try to start it again and it will click again. this could go on for many tries, or just a couple.
today it seemed to be acting worse. she said she was stopped at a stop sign, waiting to go, when it just shut off. the radio was still working though. took her 6 tries to get it started. this is the first time i recall it actually stopping after having been running.

its not anything simple like a tune up, or dirty battery posts.
thoughts?

thanks in advance

Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 PM
yakira13
Unregistered
Default RE: 99accord doesnt start occasionally, thoughts?

hiscotthoward,

Looks like I have exactly the same problem :
I have a 1999 V6 Accord, recently changed Timing belt, Alternator, and Battery.
Car can be started, drive for a while and suddenly went dead. After 5 – 10 min break, it could start again like nothing happened. Brought car to dealership, but their diagnostic found nothing. Have you get any solutions, recomendations?
Thanks

Old 11-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

I always suggest that you at least check the tuneup items (plugs, dist cap/rotor - if the 99 has them). Change those items if they are due soon. Definitely clean the battery posts and check all ends of both battery cables.

Will you clear something up for me about the stalling/starting problem. It sounds like she may have two problems (the ignition switch and the starter)

The single click when she first starts the car sounds like the starter solenoid/contacts are worn out. This is a very easy DIY job and pretty inexpensive (~$25). When she tries to start the car and she hears it click once, have her keep the key in the start position. Take a screw driver and hit the starter housing with the handle near near where the wires are bolted. If the car starts right up, then the solenoids need replaced. A bad starter solenoid would not cause the car to stall when driving.

The stalling when driving sounds more like a problem with the ignition switch. There is a recall for 98-02 accords that you can get done at the dealership. Write down the VIN, call your local honda dealership, and find out if it has been done on your accord.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:41 PM
holly
Unregistered

I also have a 99 accord and had the exact problems. I just received a phone call from my mechanic and he told me I needed a new ignition, I contacted American Honda as they replaced an ignition switch on my car back when they had the recall but told me I would have to pay for the replacement this time.

The mechanic told me that the ignition switch was really worn and could happen for several reasons...(heavy key chain)...If you note on the recall back in 2002 for this issue it listed problems of stalling etc....(my mechanic said it was easy to figure out as he just started the car and started to wiggle the key and it stalled.)

I'm so relieved and hope this solves your problem...Holly