General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS churning after brake bleed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Default ABS churning after brake bleed

Hi guys

Newbie here. Just joined after buying my son a 95 Accord coupe Ex. 4 Cyl with an automatic. 139k.

My question...I took it to a local tech for timing belt/waterpump. He did that and noticed my brake pads showed some wear and suggested pads and rotors..no problem. I asked him to change brake fluid while he was at it..since it had never been changed.

Got it back and now noticed an intermitant churning sound(like a faint grrrr) coming from the abs system. Low on fluid? Air in the system? Just wandered if it was anything I could check? Owners manual says take it to a dealer.

Thanks!!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Check the ABS reservoir and add brake fluid if necessary, or just bring it back to the guy to check.

Attached Thumbnails ABS churning after brake bleed-abs-reservoir-level-check.jpg   ABS churning after brake bleed-abs-cap.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 PM

Yeh.. I checked fluid level...and it is ok maybe even too full.

I may try and bleed the abs system to see if that helps..if not back to my tech.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Let the tech do it, it is under high pressure.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the advice....it really didn't seem like that big of a deal. I mean the bleeder is right on top...I read the procedure and it sounded pretty straight forward. The only question I had was where do you refill the reservoir for the abs...or do you just fill brake reservoir. I think my problem might be it is slightly over filled.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

It's refilled at the ABS reservoir. You would remove the cap (shown in the picture above) and if I remember correctly, there is another plastic piece you can pull up to make it easier to refill.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest checking the ABS code. See DIY forum for checking codes on Engine/Trans. Same procedure for ABS but codes are flashed by ABS light as short flashes; code 44 = ffff-p-ffff.

It is possible the repairman damaged a ABS wheel speed sensor to cause the problem, but sounds like following.

The accumulator or ABS modulator may be leaking. Whenever pressure drops, the pump kicks on to rebuild stored pressure. Hard to understand how repair could have caused this problem. He would have had to bleed the brakes to replace the brake fluid. Unless he decided to try to replace the modulator reservoir brake fluid also.

good luck

Old 06-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redbull-1
It's refilled at the ABS reservoir. You would remove the cap (shown in the picture above) and if I remember correctly, there is another plastic piece you can pull up to make it easier to refill.
...yes sir, you remember correctly.

If the abs res is low.....Yes, right behind the drivers headlight..ok a foot or so, there should be the res, there should be a 1/2 dollor size black rubber plug...remove it, under that is another clear plastic plug with an oring...remove it...add slowly as it is a small opening.

Last edited by poorman212; 06-05-2012 at 02:03 PM.