General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Default ABS sensors

Hi everyone, im new here and got a bit of an ABS problem.
I was installing new front rotors (disconnected the abs sensors). I had a bit of an accident, i dropped the right knuckle with the abs sensor still attached to it!!! Anyways i inspected the abs sensor and it looked fine. After the rotors were installed i took the car for a test drive. Everything was fine BUT when i come to a complete stop i feel the brake pedal "click" twice and move further in. My suspicions was the ABS system. So i disconnected the fuse for the system and the problem went away. So i reinstalled the fuse and thought that the right front ABS senor might have been damaged internally during the drop. I cleaned both sensor ends just to make sure.
Few days later the ABS light came on. Before i order the $200 part I checked the trouble codes. The code indicates left front AND right front sensor problem. I checked the resistance (ohms) on both sides and they are within spec, then i rotated the tires and the resistance fluctuated and are still within spec. Now Im confused. The only thing i did with these sensors when installing the rotors was disconnect them from the knuckle. Only one side i forgot to disconnect and dropped with the knuckle. Why does the code say BOTH sides are the problem? Now im thinking it might have a gap issue, but it looks like its not adjustable. Any ideas?

-G

Old 07-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

The gap isn't adjustable, but if something bent (bracket?) when you dropped it, maybe the gap IS wrong. Not knowing what year you're talking about? Accord? Civic? But it seems most of them have a pretty strong mounting arrangement.

The sensors are magnetic. Have you checked for metal shavings sticking to the sensors?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 AM

yeah, i checked and cleaned the sensors. the car is a 1997 accord 2.2L.

i reset the codes and now its telling me its a sensor problem but does not flash to say what wheel.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

How does it flash that? There's sensor codes for the 4 sensors, I don't know of any code that just says SENSOR.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

I would find the plug to the abs sensor, unplug it to see if you pulled the wires out when you dropped the knuckle. Also check the resistance across the two pins of the sensor. It should be 700-1100 ohms.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Connect the service check connector under the glove box.
Turn the ignition switch ON (II), but do not start the engine.
Gauge Assembly

Record the blinking frequency of the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) indicator light. The blinking frequency indicates the diagnostic trouble code (DTC).
Reading DTC

NOTE: Check the DTC carefully and record it. The memory of the DTC is erased if the connector is disconnected from the ABS control unit.

Turn the ignition switch ON (II). The ABS indicator light comes on for two seconds to check the bulb.
The ABS control unit indicates the DTC three times.
If you miscount the blinking frequency or if you recheck the blinking frequency, turn the ignition switch OFF then turn it ON (II) to cycle the ABS indicator light again.

Wheel sensor issue.....
4-1 rt frt. 4-2 lft frt,, 4-4 rt rear 4-8 left rear

Old 07-21-2010, 07:51 AM

the blinking codes go like this.

4 fast flash.....pause 4 fast flash.... and on and on

Last edited by g-slide; 07-21-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Smile

Problem fixed. it was the right rear sensor. I put in a new one and the problem is solved. I hope this helps someone else. thanks for all your help people.