General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Help (Sensors)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 05:18 PM
enerlevel
Unregistered
Default Need Help (Sensors)

Ok this is a long story .

Just brought a 1999 Accord. The engine is F18B.
For a few days it ran perfectly. but all of a sudden , it started jerking , missing gears (AT). the D4 light would blink all the time and " (O) " sign comes on sometimes.

I showed it to a few ppl and they all said that the tranny was gone.

I then saw a few ECU codes from the net and tried it myself. the car gave me the code for a bad speed sensor. Now there are two sensors of the same type . one is on top of the engine (which controls the speedomoter) and the other one which is located near the right wheel. i took out both the sensors and swapped them. now the speedometer is not working but the car jerks no more and no d4 blinking as well . but the car isnt changing gear and after driving for a while, the engine check sign comes up and the ecu code has also changed. so now i suppose tht the problem is with the sensor.

now my questions are.

1) wats this sensor related too?
2) wats a VSS.
3) I cannot get this sensor in the local market and as well as in Honda . so do u guys have any link from whr i can purchase it online?
4) the sensor i am talking about is just about 3-4" long and its like a black button with 3 wires going in. Civcs have the same sensor but with 2 wires. is there any way i can convert it ?
5) can i repair the speed sensor?

thanks alot and i hope to hear some good news soon as i have been struggling to find anything since the past 5 days.

p.s right now i am at ebay searching for the "HONDA ACCORD SPEED SENSOR" but none of them match the shape of mine .

Old 08-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Default RE: Need Help (Sensors)

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/SpeedSensor/Honda/

try this site

if you bought the car form a dealer, take it back, there is a thing called the lemon law, make sure they
never sold you this problem.

how does the tranny fluid look?, dark, burnt?

if i read you right, swapping the sensor only worked for a short wile and now the car wont change gear!!

sounds like you have some tech skills, howevr, if it were me i would be taking the car to a shop and getting it on a diagnostic machine.

everthing i have read about potential tranny problems says take it to a pro.

good luck and stick around the forum, maybe someone will know exactly what the problem is

Old 08-29-2005, 12:26 PM
enerlevel
Unregistered

THE sensors on tht site do not match with the one i have .

when i swap the spoilt sensor with the speedomoter on (which is working), the tranny jerks , pickup in the first gear , d4 blinking goes away BUT it doesnt shift gears then ( which i think is casue the speedomoter sensor is not working thts y ). and when i keep driving it in the first gear , then after some time , the engine check sign appears.

Still finding tht sensor ..........................................

Old 08-29-2005, 12:29 PM
enerlevel
Unregistered

UPDATE:

i was just told by one of the other forums that any sensor would work it doesnt not have to be tht special one..... now the only thing i have to match is a small sensor with 3 wires.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/SpeedSensor/Honda/Accord

both these have 2 wires . (they are the ones which is used by the civic's.)

Old 09-05-2005, 02:26 AM
enerlevel
Unregistered

i brought the speed sensor for 200$ and then reprogrammed the ecu. and now my car runs just fine. Thank u all for ur support. Have a great day