General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is AC compressor cycling correctly

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Default Is AC compressor cycling correctly

Hello, I have an accord 2000 LX, and I want to know if the AC compressor is cycling correctly. The temperature right now in Texasis ~ 100F ad notice when the AC is set to 2 the compressor is on for 13-16 secs and then off for ~ 11-13 secs. When I switch to # 3 the cycle is 22-24 secs on and 7-9 secs off lastly when it is on max AC (set # 4) the compressor stays on for long period of time > 1.5 min but I did not time te cycle, is this correct? Appreciate any help/feedback. Thanks

Old 08-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Without knowig the "temp" at the vent, sounds about right.

There is a switch on the ac that once it gets to the proper temp, it shuts off the compressor, then it falls below that temp and comes back on.

Now if the car is not cooling (the cabin) properly and the ac is cycling, that could be a sign of low refrig in the ac system. Would suggest getting the low and high side pressure readings.

PS-I don't think we are suppose to be posting in here.....so this might get moved by one of the mod's. EDIT: Thanks TX

Last edited by poorman212; 08-28-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Thanks
Old 08-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I moved the posts to correct section.

A lot of variables make a difference in cycle time. Cycle-off occurs when thermostat detects the evaporator temperature is colder than a preset limit, probably about 28-32F. It stays off until evaporator warms to a preset temp, possibly 45-50F, then compressor is re-enabled.

Things that would affect cycle time are engine speed, air temperature, humidity, car in shade or sun, fresh air or recirculate setting, fan speed, etc. There is no spec on cycle time durations to my knowledge.

Yours sounds reasonable, but that's about all anyone can say.

Pressures are necessary to infer whether charge level is OK, and even here there is lot's of room for error.

Check what i call cabin air pull-down w/ a fully stablized AC, max fan, max AC, engine at 1500-2000 rpm, car in shade. Good AC system should get 35-45 degF pull-down (air on floorboard passsenger side- air exiting vents). Lower end is for high humidity.

It was hotter than hades in Houston yesterday. We hit 110F, a rare level. Usually this is reserved for the fine folks in Dallas. It felt like venturing into a microwave oven to walk outside. I walked my dogs at 7pm and it was still brutal.

good luck

Old 08-29-2011, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I am in Dallas and the temp is in the 100-105F range. Today I took some pressure measurements with the gauge that came with a re-charging kit from autozone. I took the measurements after driving the car for ~ 30 minutes; when I just started the car the pressure was ~ 40-45 psi with the compressor off when I turned the AC to max the compressor started and the pressure slowly started to drop from ~45 to ~ 30-25psi and then the compressor went off, the compressor was on for ~ 1.0 to 1.75 min and then off for ~ 10-15 secs, the air in the car is cold. I am wondering if I overcharged the AC system, if so what would be the sysmptoms? Thanks

Old 08-30-2011, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Low side pressures alone don't tell you much except that low side appears to be in the correct range, at least part of the time.

A pressure of 45 psi w/ compressor off is not right. Hopefully an error on your part. When system is off pressures will quickly equalize, usually above 100 psi. When pulling new refrigerant gas into the system, pressure measured is not accurate.

good luck