General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC harness help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Default AC harness help

See here for the beginning of my story.

I found my AC harness in the following condition...

Name:  IMAGE_117.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  135.2 KB
Name:  IMAGE_118.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  111.3 KB

You may notice that one wire has been snipped and spliced onto a different wire. I can only assume that some previous owner was having trouble with the AC and this was some kind of solution. I can easily put the wire back where it came from but should I bother? Does anyone know what has been done here, and why?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Its up to you on how to repair this. You can probably pick up a harness at a junkyard.

I can't tell what relay you are at or the wire color. The wire that was snipped was either missing voltage or ground. That is why it was spliced into the other wire. Download a 94 shop manual to see the wiring for the a/c. The common DIY index on top of this forum has a link to it.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Check with the dealer....there is a recall on these....might get a free one.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Check with the dealer....there is a recall on these....might get a free one.
Last time I was at the dealer I asked them to check if there were any active recalls on my car. Unfortunately, there are not.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, I've yet to have this recall done on my 95....might just be the EX's, or yours was done before???

On the AC Compressor relay connector....The WHT wire that is "snipped" should be the "power" from the fuse panel. The BLK/YEL is "power" from the "fan controller" (traveling so I don't have any of my manuals for the proper name).

Old 07-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It looks sort of nasty, but a good cleaning, and some wire splicing w/ heat shrink crimp splices should put things electrically sound. Some new protective plastic sleeving should protect from future damage.

You can likely find a matching harness part from car-part.com near your zip code, if you prefer to replace.

good luck

Old 07-04-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
It looks sort of nasty, but a good cleaning, and some wire splicing w/ heat shrink crimp splices should put things electrically sound. Some new protective plastic sleeving should protect from future damage.

You can likely find a matching harness part from car-part.com near your zip code, if you prefer to replace.

good luck
I have now spliced the harness back to the way it was. All nice and heat shrinked.

I wonder how it worked that way though. The BLK/YEL wire was receiving no power at rest and the WHT wire was receiving 12v at rest.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

At rest the WHT should have power, it is the "hot at all times" side of the circut...as long as the fuse is good.

The BLK/YEL only had/has power when the ac is on (and working, which I know yours does)

One of the other two (again, traveling so I'm going on memory) is ground from the ecu...the ground and the BLK/YEL are the "coil" inside the relay causing it to close...letting the power from the WHT go to the compressor.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
At rest the WHT should have power, it is the "hot at all times" side of the circut...as long as the fuse is good.

The BLK/YEL only had/has power when the ac is on (and working, which I know yours does)

One of the other two (again, traveling so I'm going on memory) is ground from the ecu...the ground and the BLK/YEL are the "coil" inside the relay causing it to close...letting the power from the WHT go to the compressor.
I just remembered... The AC fuse WAS blown. I replaced it long ago hoping that it would fix all my problems. Is it possible the previous owner changed the harness because the fuse kept blowing? or maybe he neglected to check the fuse... The plot thickens...

Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, didn't think about that side.......so either it kept blowing or they didn't even know to look. Either way they "rigged" something because one side (WHT or BLK/YEL)was not getting 12v.

Again, double check me on this (I know you have the manual) as I'm going on memory....and using a post on Honda Tech I had two weeks back where I had a member with AC and Cond Fan relay issues....turns out both replays were bad on his.