General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Question 1993 Honda Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Default AC Question 1993 Honda Accord EX

Just bought an 93 accord ex and have an issue with AC. It was almost empty of freon, and I had to add a pound and a half of r12 and some die to track the leak. When these failed as a whole did it have issues with the compressor or with fittings and hoses. I will shine the blue light in a week and see where te leak was from. Any help would be great.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: AC Question 1993 Honda Accord EX

pressure switch is known to leak on those, unplug the connector and look in there.
Of course at that age there could be leaks at any connection, look for refer oil seepage. the oil bonds to the freon molecule and can be a great tattletale.
If it comes down to it, look with your UV light up the Evap core drain tube.
I've also pulled the glove boxes out and popped the clips off the evap case to get enough space to wedge a screwdriver in the case joint, and open it up enoughto shine the light into the passenger side of the case where the Expansion valve is.
As costly as R-12 is nowadays I hate to see any wasted

Old 03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Look for an oily/dirty ring around the compressor clutch. If you have one, the shaft seal is leaking. It is replaceable, but a tricky job. Let me know if this is your problem and I can help.

Leaks at this age could be most anywhere. All my Accords have suffered from expansion valve oring leaks w/ age.

good luck

Old 03-15-2008, 04:51 PM

Well I got the uv light out today in the engine compartment, and could not find any trace of a leak near the compressor, or anywhere else in the system. I guess me next step is to pull the glove box.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you remove the air intake duct you can access the drain tube and may be able to catch some dye on the firewall or drain tube to confirm evaporator leak.

W/ a system of this age, the expansion valve orings are very likely to be leaking. Look for evidence of dirt and oil accumulation around the fittings and nearby. I found a white power betweeen the brass-to-aluminum connections that distorted the orings causing the leaks. Clean carefully to avoid scratching the sealing surfaces (vinegar or other chemical is best w/ plastic brush). Use nylog oring lubricant to assemble to be sure a new seal is obtained, since you can't test until system is assembled and vacuum tested for leaks.

good luck